Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am inquiring on behalf of a gentlemen who purchased a 1939 WXA25 RR. It was built for the 1939 London Car Show at Earls court and was a one of. The car later came to Canada. It had the interior removed and placed in crates. The gentleman that purchased it reassembled it. He noticed the engine had piston slap so off he went to England where he told RR what he had and they said they had been looking for that car and wondered what had happened to it as it was the only one produced.
While living in Victoria BC the owner was approached about having the car used in a movie. That movie was Glitterdome starring James Garner. He shipped the off to Hollywood. During filming a piece of lighting equipment toppled over and did 10,000 damage to the right front fender. The owner of Capitol Records at the time asked the owner if he would sell it, which he did. He is now 82 years old and has often wondered how he might find out what became of the car. His selling price at the time was 56,000 US. I'm sure it has appreciated substantially since then. Any ideas would be appreciated

·
562 Posts
I remember when Glitterdome was filming in Victoria, I bought a TR7 from them and stripped it for parts after they had launched it off a 100 foot cliff for the movie . There wasn't much of use as they had already removed the engine and trans and it had landed upside down after going off the cliff.
A quick search online and WXA25 comes up on Pinterest but without much info. WXA25 was owned by Bernard and Shirley Lawson in Prince George, BC 45 years ago. Is that who you are inquiring on behalf of?. I have checked with our local RROC historian and he has not heard of it since then. WXA25 is not in the current nor recent RROC directories. I found it listed in my 1982/83 directory then owned by the aforementioned Lawson. Complete Classics #2 published in 1998 said the owner was Van Sloten in Canada in 1993.

I think your best bet is to contact Bernard King, who publishes the Complete Classics books. [email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts