Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, Happy to report my recent 600 mile road trip to the NW of Ireland in the Turbo R went great these last two weeks. My wife's view of the car as 'safe' and 'nice' is redeemed - as I had recently fitted some new fuel lines she assumed it might all end in a fiery mess :)

Then two days ago on a short trip near home I turned on the wipers (as it was raining obviously) and they stuck in the on position. Once I got home I could see the wiper motor was turning fine but something had broke or disconnected in the mechanism to drive the two wiper arms.

i removed the scuttle panel to discover the 'press fit'? shaft had dropped off - so reconnected it, turned on the wipers and it drops off again immediately.

I've searched the forum and cannot find this problem mentioned. As there is no bolt or split pin I assume its a pressure fit and some new parts may be required due to wear....a cable tie may work as a temporary measure (probably not due to the twisting action) but was hoping someone else had come across this before.

I had the scuttle off about as month ago to reconnect both washer tubes as they had disconnected. Whilst there I lubricated as many shafts and connections as I could get access to with penetrating fluid and liquid grease and we had lots of rain on the road trip so all seemed to be working well. I also fitted new wiper blades.

28496




EA663032-445A-4490-8ED4-5E58767C33AD_1_105_c.jpeg


Thanks for any advice on the repair / replacement option if anyone has seen this before.
On a related note in the service and workshop and electrical manuals (TSD4700/4702/4406 & 4701/4848) the only mention of the wiper system I can find is for windscreen removal (S8-3) and wiring/electrics in the electrics manual. If anyone knows where adjustment and setup of these mechanisms is covered that would be great.

thanks in advance, Kevin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hi all, just in case anyone searches in the future - I got this fixed for now as follows - there is a rubber bush between the 2 components pictured above that has perished and torn. An enterprising mechanic or owner in the past has improvised by using part of a rubber glove as a 'temporary' replacement stuff inside the rubber piece - this repair finally gave up and the two components parted company.
I've substituted this old repair with a few turns of electrical tape and it seems to be holding for now (its taken up any wear in the component). I will purchase the rubber bush piece (if available) at some point when doing my next parts order from FS or IC. Kevin
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top