Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would post up my efforts at looking after the car over the winter

Think I have just about got it sussed protecting the car.
The car is garaged but concrete garage so can get pretty damp, have seen the dampness creeping up the side of the cars.

So time for action, bought a dehumidifier, it has made a significant difference to the car and when you go in to the garage you can feel its not damp
Bought a tubular heater which is mounted to a strip of 2x4 sits under the engine with the thermostat turned right back, kicks in only when really cold and protects the engine.
Solar panels with voltage regulator, great bit of kit just sits there trickle charging the battery over the winter, keeps it in tip top condition
Stormforce breathable cover, keeps the dust off and holds the heat when the tubular heater kicks in

Does anyone else have any ideas for overwinter protection?

John

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Some people put a little and simple dehumifier with tabs in the car.
Problem is the liquid with water and tabs mixed is corrosive as tabs are kind of salt.

But it may help if very hulid and if you check every week and empty the "saumur "

If too humid outside, you should not cover it as it keeps humidity under and does not dry.

Jean

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I place a heavy-duty sheet of polythene on the concrete floor and drive onto it. The polythene extends approx. half metre beyond the length & width of the car. I think this helps to stop any rising damp from the concrete floor so protects the underside of the car, Regards, Larry

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some people put a little and simple dehumifier with tabs in the car.
Problem is the liquid with water and tabs mixed is corrosive as tabs are kind of salt.

But it may help if very hulid and if you check every week and empty the "saumur "

If too humid outside, you should not cover it as it keeps humidity under and does not dry.

Jean
Hi Jean
Thanks for info
I live in Scotland so the words Humid and Scotland are never seen in a sentence har har

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have to say the dehumidifier is working a treat.
Pulling out the damp air in the garage nicely, previously you could go in and see visible dampness creeping up the cars from the ground, now all clear well impressed.

John

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is an electric dehumidifier ?

Jean

Hi yes
You can set the humidity levels, when its running pulls about 140 watts so no big drain on the electricity bill.
Sometimes you go in to empty it and nearly no water in the tank other times pretty full, but doing the job that's the main thing

best regards

john

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hi yes
You can set the humidity levels, when its running pulls about 140 watts so no big drain on the electricity bill.
Sometimes you go in to empty it and nearly no water in the tank other times pretty full, but doing the job that's the main thing

best regards

john
Hi John - reason you have more water sometimes than others is probably because of varying temperature in the garage - dehumidifiers are very ineffective at lower temperatures - you need around 10 degrees C+ - warmer the better. If you cranked up your heater you would see a lot more water being taken out - but this is only any good, of course, if the garage has a damp proof membrane under the floor and is sealed up from the weather - otherwise you would be attempting to dehumidify Scotland - a major task!

·
Registered
167 Posts
When I lived at 'home' we had a big garage for two cars or one car and ten motorcycles... it was heated and de-humidified and I had to have the de-humidifier piped out as it pulled soooooo much water out.

Unfortunately my wife didn't know about the heating aspect until she queried the electric bills when I got in lots of trouble... after that it was just de-humidified. The D/H used to freeze in cold weather frequently which sort of defeated the object of the exercise.

If anyone is wondering, yes, it was one car (Mercedes SL) and ten bikes :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got a heated car cover from Alibaba I think and also stored in a concrete garage. Works wonders so far this winter!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts