Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I've been seeing that a lot of Bentley and Rolls Royce owners are having window issues and most of the time it's related to a window regulator failure. These parts are expensive, but there is a company called Power Window Repair that rebuilds these regulators and motors for a fraction of the cost from the manufacturer. The website is powerwindowrepair.com and the phone number is 480-570-5116. I hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Dennis..Most of us here are well aware of what the issues are, usually a broken plastic gear and in many cases poor electrical connections..The plastic gear is easily obtainable and would not need to be shipped out.
BTW..One posting is sufficient...we get it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand that in some cases a person may be able to replace their gear. I was only trying to make people aware of this service because the regulators and motors are about $1000 from the manufacturer for a new part. I apologize for the overzealous posting.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Derek,

I have been restoring/replacing RR/B window mechanisms now for over 30 years and keep a stock of Shadow 1 and 11 refurbished ones but I don't sell, just use for friends or club members as needed.

Years ago I used to do a lot of the early Piper ones and they were a lot more complicated with limit switches and tabs on the chains.

The Shadow 1 and 11 though are much simpler and albeit the motor rubber covers on the Shadow 1 square motors if needed are now expensive otherwise overall very inexpensive to do your own restoration. In worst case if window square motor rubbers are rotted then you can steal the ones from the front seats and just make a thin plastic plate for the seat ones and tape them up as these do not see dampness like the interior of the doors do.

All my windows lower fully in 2 seconds and rise in less than 3 seconds smoothly. No trickery or Treacy electrical modifications everything is standard.

First you have to understand what can go wrong and generally if the plastic drive from the motor to the worm wheel has stripped or the teeth on the main nylon wheel it is likely caused by something else.

The issues can be broken into mechanical or electrical problems.

Mechanically I have had chain links rust up solid so won't go round the cog, the flock sprayed rubber chain guides in the rails come away and get jammed in the upper or lower cogs, the gearbox debris rubber ring can come away and get jammed in the nylon drive wheel, spindles on the upper and lower rail cogs can seize up and then general friction in the flock sprayed window frame glass guides through lack of lubrication maintenance. Also the outer metal on the regulator guide rails can become surface contaminated and the one that carries the main window lift bracket slider gets sluggish. All of these issues can result in poor performance or the damage to the nylon bits in the gearbox so just replacing these parts in the gearbox would be futile.

On the electrical side yes you can get oxidised connections especially in the base of the door connector block, the brake/anti-drop solenoid failure is quite common so often window lowers but very slow to rise or thermally motor cuts out half way up, 'square motor' SS1 thermal field cut out failure (usually causes fuse to blow... later Shadow 11 have permanent magnet field with a thermal push reset cut out under glovebox), general switch failure at the door micro switches, and possibly even other issues in my time I have yet not come across. I always clean the motor commutators and check the brushes when restoring but I am yet to ever had to need to actually replace any brushes as the window motors do not see the work life like a fan or windscreen wipe motor.

One myth to avoid taking any notice of I see on other RR forums is hard grease in the gearbox. There is hardly any grease in the gearbox of the SS1 or SS11 as the worm drive works on a nylon wheel and if anyone has opened up a gearbox full of grease then it will have been previously badly restored.

So just buying any replacement window regulator will not necessarily solve window issues and the main cause really needs to be identified.

There is a small aperture in the door metal inner skin at the top which if you remove the door card trim you can get into grease spray the chains and inner guide rails. The glass channels can be lubricated by allowing a spray teflon lubricant to run down the flock channels and if no improvement is seen by doing this then you need to start looking at the other issues.

Trust me there is more work in all trim removal and just getting the whole window mechanism out of the door and back in again with what needs to be done to actually just refurbish your own regulator. Small hands and being double jointed would be a great advantage which sadly I have neither but avoid parting out with the cash is my advice.

Steve

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steve, it sounds like your are a very educated man hahaha. Yes I agree with you that the motors rarely need to be service on these. Depending on what model the vehicle is, it's usually the plastic cable guides, pulley wheels or spring tensioners that break. From what I've read, the company that I shared up top fabricates their own parts from metal and replaces the plastic with said metal during the rebuild process. It's pretty neat. Although I think a person with your level of knowledge and technical capability will not have any need for someone else to do this for you. However there are people that will need this service. These parts are upwards of $1000 to purchase a replacement. Pretty decent difference in pricing with the rebuild service.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hi Derek,

I agree we have to be grateful for ALL these companies that support parts for classic cars and yes there are many owners that perhaps can't or don't want to undertake general maintenance so your information too is valuable.

With the help of these forums though, those that may think a job may be challenging can 'have a go' with some confidence of no major surprises and save on some expenses.

Here is a video of my rear window (probably worst one of the 4) switched from drivers door with engine off. All parts are standard and the original regulators, which themselves genuinely are very simple to refurbish and maintain IMHO.

https://youtu.be/IHHHWZnJcfU

Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts