Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has come to my notice that my '86 Bentley will not move when in either neutral or in any gear when the engine is not running........

Is this a standard thing?

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
No, it's not a "standard thing." This car can/should/would coast just like any other were the engine to cut out or the car be placed in neutral and the engine were shut off.

The gear selector in these vehicles is electric, so if your battery is dead or disconnected moving the gear selector does nothing.

I've had to push my Shadow out of the garage after a fuel pump failure and all that took was putting her into neutral and two strong men in addition to someone in the driver's seat.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I got the car it had a Sigma alarm/immobilser on which I took off.
I wonder if it has something else wired into the ignition circuit to cut off the supply to the gear selector....
Will check to see if it moves if the ignition is on but engine not running..

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When engine is turned off and box is put into neutral or any gear you can push the car.... but.. take the key out and the gears lock....and car will not move...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Gremlin said:
When engine is turned off and box is put into neutral or any gear you can push the car.... but.. take the key out and the gears lock....and car will not move...
except if you switch off the battery in the boot before taking the key out. :wink:

·
Registered
18 Posts
With the engine not running but the ignition on you should clearly hear the “click click” sounds the electric selector makes when moving the gear shift. If it is silent then it is not moving out of Park.

Cheers

KC

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Gremlin said:
How is this problematic? It sounds like an intentional interlock.

Several of my cars will not let you move the gear selector at all if the key is not in the ignition. (But not the RR, which predates these sorts of interlocks. That's one of the reasons they advise pulling the fuse for the gear selector box if you want to be absolutely certain that nothing/no one can accidentally change the gear selection.)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didnt say it was a problem and I didnt say the gear selector will not move when the key is not in the ignition.......

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Leloarer said:
Gremlin said:
except if you switch off the battery in the boot before taking the key out. :wink:
Probably....... but cannot see why I would want to do that.... :shock:

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Gremlin said:
I didnt say it was a problem and I didnt say the gear selector will not move when the key is not in the ignition.......
1. I never said or implied that you said the gear selector (lever) did not move when the key is not in the ignition. It does on my RR, and in a pre-SZ model it also engages the gear selector box whether or not the key is in the ignition. However, you seemed to be expressing an implied problem that the car will not allow itself to have gears shifted nor moved when the key is not in the ignition.

2. I fail to understand even the point of this thread anymore. It seemed to me that you were asking a question regarding a possible problem. You now have no question and the behavior you have described is no problem.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was asking a question regarding my Bentley, and if it was a standard feature,,,, not Ford or BMW etc.

However, you seemed to be expressing an implied problem that the car will not allow itself to have gears shifted nor moved when the key is not in the ignition.
Thats exactly what I was saying but I didnt say it was a problem,
.... but it could be..... dead battery... keys lost..... you cant move the car.....

When the engine is stopped the gear selector moves........ the car can be pushed backward/forwards regardless of what gear is selected.......... if the selector is in gear or neutral and you remove the key.........the gearbox locks..You can move the selector..........but you cant move the car....... until the ignition is turned on again.........

·
Registered
244 Posts
Gremlin said:
Leloarer said:
Probably....... but cannot see why I would want to do that.... :shock:
For you I don't know :wink: , but for me because there are in my garage several cars and many other things, and I sometimes need to move them of some tens of centimeters.
It arranges me to be able to do that without looking for keys at home and starting the engine. :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts