Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here ever had a sudden failure of any brake hose while driving due to age of the hose?
Just wondering how prevalent the condition is. I know all about the service schedule and good practices.
Just want to know if anyone has actually had a sudden failure while driving that caused braking problems.

· Premium Member
2,238 Posts
I had one swell to the extent that it had a visible bubble. It was only about 6 years old and wouldn't have yet been due for replacement and I only discovered it when under the car doing another job. The main problem with these hoses is that they can deteriorate on the inside and clog so in essence become a one way valve that allows fluid to the brakes when the pedal is pressed but doesn't allow the brakes to release. They can look perfect on the exterior while having disintegrated on the inside. It's best practice to replace them according to the service schedule or even more frequently as they carry up to 2500 PSI which is a lot more than conventional braking systems.

· Registered
4,715 Posts
A fairly common mistake is incorrect installation. The "line/stripe" on the hose is called a torque line and should not have even the slightest twist. The internal force when pressure is applied will weaken the hose construction in that area leading to premature failure.

· Registered
876 Posts
So a bulge like that may be caused from a twisted line.
The twisting action of the suspension causes the hose to "kink" beyond its limits and a bulge appears in the outer casing where its being stressed the most.
That would explain why it failed after only 6 years ?

· Registered
4,630 Posts
So a bulge like that may be caused from a twisted line.
Yep. And that's precisely one of the reasons brake hoses have those long lines printed on them. You are to make sure that those lines stay linear and do not do anything more than the slightest arc.

I doubt you could or would get any significant twist coming in post-installation, but a careless installer could easily have twisted the hose. Six years is way too early to fail unless there was an installation problem or a QC problem (and those still do happen, rarely).

· Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone here ever had a sudden failure of any brake hose while driving due to age of the hose?
Just wondering how prevalent the condition is. I know all about the service schedule and good practices.
Just want to know if anyone has actually had a sudden failure while driving that caused braking problems.
Common age related problem with flex lines, annual checks for cracks/swells....sudden failure, no, pedal slowly gets mushy ans perhaps a 'pull' to one side.......Patrick's, Ct.

· Registered
3 Posts
Common age related problem with flex lines, annual checks for cracks/swells.....sudden failure, no, pedal slowly gets mushy and perhaps a pull to one side.....no total loss of brakes......Patrick's, Ct.

Moderator note: Charles, or Patrick's?, as a relatively new member please take a few minutes to read through "Instructions for navigating the site" and "How to reply to a discussion thread"in the FAQ section, link here: FAQ There are other topics there that you may find informative. Please note also that it is not necessary to quote a previous post in your reply if you are following the train of thought in the thread, it just clutters up the thread unnecessarily. Thanks, Jim.

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kind of what my experience over 50 years has been in other automobile lines.
As our RRs age more and more I can well understand the need for inspection and checking the braking system
that is called out in the Service Manuals especially considering the living conditions many of our favorite cars are subjected to.

· Registered
4,630 Posts
Just to put it on public record, the one and only sudden failure I've ever had in any brake hose of any age was on my 1999 Jaguar XJ8L. Was driving along after dark in Richmond, VA, and sudden "pedal to the floor" syndrome with minimal brakes. Immediately pulled off, parked, and rented a car to get back to Staunton.

Both the mechanic and I were shocked at the cause: A C-shaped aluminum can shard somehow got looped on to the brake line while driving, and the opening was such that it did not blow off. It apparently kept twirling and twirling on the line, almost cleanly cutting it through in one spot, causing the leak.

The chances of that happening are probably akin to hitting the MegaMillions jackpot, but with a far less pleasant result.

· Registered
174 Posts
Just to put it on public record, the one and only sudden failure I've ever had in any brake hose of any age was on my 1999 Jaguar XJ8L.
I’ve got a Jag XF (diff model, diff year) and it’s been nothing but woes, despite how much I love it. In the last three years I’ve had to put $15K into bizarre repairs, while my Spur, which is 30 years older has only cost $1000 so far, and that’s mainly because I’ve been able to put hundreds of hours into the Spur myself because it’s so easy to work on. Every time I open the bonnet/hood on the Jag I feel my blood slowly start to drain away….

1 - 14 of 14 Posts