Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
wondering what to use to create th "fluid film" you folks speak of...would love to coat mine...I'm in the US obviously so what product is available, and application tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Hi JonnyC, There are 2 products that are supposedly very good for undersealing : POR 15 and Miracle paint. Google "Mercedes Source Miracle Paint" and you will find an instruction video on preparation and painting. Both products can be applied by brush but they are both very sticky and messy to work with. Cheap, stiff brushes are best as they will be discarded after use. The benefit of both products is that they really do seal the metal against water ingress and create a good, hard protective coating. POR 15 was originally formulated for protection of steel ships and boats. There are health warnings with it so it's recommended to apply it in a well ventilated environment and to wear good breathing protection apparatus and wear rubber gloves, eye protection, face protection and disposable overalls. Ideally you need a car lift so you can gain good access to all underside areas. It may be necessary to remove exhausts, wheels or anything else that restricts access to the underside. Any rust should be removed and treated and etched with phosphoric acid. Phosphoric acid is another dangerous product that can burn a hole through your skin and into the bone so extreme caution is advised. When you open the lid on a tin of POR 15 you should either use all the contents or place a membrane between the lid and the tin on resealing, otherwise the lid will be stuck fast to the tin. If you were to inadvertently spill a drop you would find it virtually impossible to clean it up. There are many other spray on products but most of them will allow moisture to enter between the coating and the metal especially in areas that are exposed to stone chips e.g., wheel arches or anywhere that can get scraped or hold muck or salt, Larry

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Fluid Film is a lanolin based protectant made for automotive use. It doesn't require any extensive prep, you just spray it on. It is rather messy, but seems to work well.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
wondering what to use to create th "fluid film" you folks speak of...would love to coat mine...I'm in the US obviously so what product is available, and application tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
The product is called fluid film. It comes in a spray can and you should be able to buy it online.

·
Registered
1986 RR Silver Spur, 6.8 Liter, custom 700R4 and more to come
13 Posts
It sounds like a wonderful idea until the blisters start bubbling up through the paint. Then (depending on how OCD you are), you'll start hating yourself. Don't believe any of those English folk who say that they've fixed their rust. They've only fixed what they can see.
Amazon.com: HOWDY Dual-Function Undercarriage Cleaner with Swivel WheelPressure Washer,Underbody Car Wash Water Broom,Surface Cleaner for Pressure Washer,Quick Interface Universal Rotating Wheel,16 Inch,4000 PSI: Garden & Outdoor

A fairly inexpensive abatement method that I'll be investing in shortly...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
24 Posts
An Interesting and thought provoking theme.
Ive always been a big believer of "better to wear it out than let it rust away".

But in this case I have realized I don't do that with the Rolls. But I never thought about it that way before.

My Corniche is on "season plates" - so only registered from April to October, although once every month or two in winter I take it out the garage and run till the engine is hot and move as many parts as I can on the drive way. I did that just yesterday actually, it started first time and ran smoothly, I noticed a dribble of coolant escaping from the expansion tank and that it stopped when hot, so I will need to keep an eye on that in April.
In reality we wouldn't have used it in the snow as we have a 4x4 for that, so this got me thinking - why don't I use the Rolls more and not at all in winter? (its my choice to have it only registered in summer)

I hope this doesn't upset the "Rolls True bloods", but although I love the Corniche to bits, I'm not sure Id want it as my daily driver.
Lets face it , Ive been in houses that are easier to find a parking spots for, and I use less fuel when I use my 4x4 to tow a covered car transporter with the Rolls inside it, than if I drive the Rolls!
My experience of driving it in bad weather is the wipers clear enough of an area to have a guess what you are about to hit........

BUT, on a hot summers day, with the roof down and that V8 burbling, the smell of the leather and the view across half a forest of real polished wood, floating along shielded from reality by sheepskin carpets and superb suspension, then who would want to drive anything else?

My thoughts on this ended with - its "Horses for courses"
When the conditions are right to enjoy the Rolls then I do.
But if I don't like the conditions for me or the car at any time, then I don't.

Bottom line where I think we all agree, these are all cars of character to be enjoyed, so enjoy, when its enjoyable.
:)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I hope this doesn't upset the "Rolls True bloods", but although I love the Corniche to bits, I'm not sure Id want it as my daily driver.
Old cars are fun to take out every so often and tinker with. They're fun because they're always something to fix with them and when you drive them (particularly if you work on them), you're in tune with everything that's going on.
Driving an old car daily will nickel and dime you to death and exhaust you from sensory overload.

This is why I always keep a modern(ish) daily driver that I can just get into and drive. Right now, it's a 2005 Mercedes Benz E320 CDI. It starts every time, it stops every time, a/c works, heater works and it gets 700 miles from a tank of fuel. I change the oil every 6000 miles and spend 10 minutes inspecting everything else. Boring, but I save the drama for the weekends when I go up to the hobby shop.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I drive my Arnage straight through the winter. Worse, it lives outside year-round. When it rusts out I'll either restore it or get something else.

Not that I don't understand the other side of the coin. My NP Vanquish lives inside and naps for the winter. But then I don't drive it that much in the summer either; mostly just to car events and the odd rip around to terrify the neighbours.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts