Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to purchase a "pre-packaged" backup battery with wires/leads.

As we know, the OEM replacement battery is the Varta "55615603059" 3.6 V, Nickel Metal Hydride, 150 mAh.

Robison uses a "3.6-volt battery for a pet collar" that appears to be 300+ mAh.

I don't want to install a too big battery that the seat ECU cannot charge or damage itself.

What is the max safe mAh?

This battery caught my attention, but it ships from China. Don't feel like waiting a month.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Personnally I have used what was originally on the car:
VARTA 3/V 150 H ( 3,6 v / 140 mah)

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
It is an excellent idea to get those batteries out of the ECu in my opinion, and be able to replace them easily if they are plugged on a socket for example.
Like this the ECU is safe from acid leak, and replacement is easy and no need to open ECU and unsold, and risk damaging the circuit.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi!
Too big a mAh rating won't do any harm, it'll just take longer to charge in theory.
Are you ging to install it with a plug and socket, or hard wire it?

Es

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"plug and socket"

Why I posed my question on this forum was that I have seen this more than once. I don't want to let the magic English electrical smoke out of the white ECU box.

One thing about installing larger capacity batteries - you need to make sure it's not so large that the charging circuitry on the board can't handle the charge current - particularly the initial charge current.
And if you go too much bigger, you can fry older circuits. Most newer charge circuits are current limited though, so they will not care. It would only be your older bipolar transistor series regulators that would smoke
I like what this person did, but, it is overly complicated and expensive for what it is.

Attach the battery under the seat with a few tie raps :

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi!
Too big a mAh rating won't do any harm, it'll just take longer to charge in theory.

Es
The Nudge is correct. The high capacity lithium-ion battery will not damage the components so long as the voltage rating is the same. It will take longer to recharge than a smaller capacity battery, but it will retain the charge considerably longer than a lower mAh rated battery. Though I cannot foresee any harm in installing these into the seat motor module, they are ideal for the alarm module. as it will allow the siren to sound longer (~ 30-minutes) in the absence of 12-volt power over the ~5-minutes of the factory NiCad battery. On the later Spurs with the battery integral into the siren assembly, this is ideal...there is no down-side.

Reactions: JR2
1 - 7 of 7 Posts