Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bad whine coming from the rear of my Shadow 2. I have replaced the axle shafts and the differential. No difference. What else could it be? The noise increases and decreases with speed. Should I just buy some cheese and enjoy the whine?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Are the hydraulics working properly? The axle shafts must run level. They can become very noisy if the hydraulics fail to keep the back of the car up when under load, causing the axle shafts to run at angles.

In my experience they vibrate before they become noisy if this is the case.

Regards

KC

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am starting to get a bit of a saggy bum but it looks level. Could the universal on the driveshaft do this?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Hi you need to check the A frame to make shore there aren’t any splits then take it for a drive with no passengers and check that it is lifting the back end of the car ( you should have a good gap on top of the Wheel ) when you have done this let me know

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What A frame and where does it usually crack. The rear usually raises when I put it in Reverse. There is a bit of a gap and equal on both sides.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Hi you need to get the car on a ramp a 4 poster where you drive on to it
And then check that the car is level I can’t remember the right hite but you can find this out on the forum
When you have it on the ramp check the prop shaft and diff are level you will see the frame it has a ball joint on it make shore there isn’t any damage or cracks

You mentioned that the diff had been rebuilt? Was it done professionally or not?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It wasn't rebuilt. I took it off my parts car. I feel it would be unusual for two differentials to sound the same.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Woody.

It could be a wheel bearing.

Jack up the car on both trailing arms so the wheels are at the right height to each other.

Chock the front wheels and make sure the car is safe.

Lock the handbrake on one wheel, put in gear and listen to rotating wheel.

Swap locked wheels and listen again.

Be very careful. Usual H & S warnings apply!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts