Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
You man you can see coolant in a puddle but don't know where it's coming from?
Front of engine, back of engine? high low? left or right? This info might help us help you.
When the system is pressurised (cold), I can see a steady drip below the car, roughly between the engine and gearbox. When the pressure is released, the dripping stops.
Ich can see green fluid, presumably coolant, around the distributor, but I can't see it trickling. Also a smaller amount on the right side of the V.
Is there anything towards the back of the engine that can leak coolant? Gearbox cooler?

Es

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Your transmision cooler is a loop built into the bottom of the radiator. You can see the 2 lines. Note: most if not all auxillary coolers are generally placed forward of the engine bay where it receives fresh air.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Check carrefully all around calorstat and senders on the calorsta, they have seals.
You may have galvanic corrosion and a damaged part which is leaking now.

Could be an oring too from the pipes connected

Check on main diagram here. My fist guess would be this area on your engine with no intercoller, if coming from top of the engine.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Yes, the pipes go from the thermostat housing to each side, you only need new o rings and bypass gasket so parts are cheap, but lots to come off to get to them ok
Mike

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks for all the help guys!
I can use the lift at the local mechanic's tomorrow afternoon, so hopefully that'll shed some light on where the coolant is escaping from!
Looking at the diagram of the thermostat housing, what gasket is used on the pipe at the bottom left, just above where UM21674R is written?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I had the car on the lift at ny mechanic's yesterday, and the car didn't visibly leak under pressure....
The engine was warm, so maybe I'll need to check it cold !

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nuge, as a couple of the guys have described this has decent probability of leaking coolant rail orings. Often there is a decent ‘calcium’ deposit build up at the front rail leak(s) as the tell. The leak at the B bank (lhd driver) runs to the engine rear along the valley and runs down underneath the distributor (on pre 93) along the g/box bell housing and eventually on to the floor. Drips can be seen pooling along the subframe or passenger rear engine mount.
It’s a very easy fix on pre 93 and significantly more involved but the same principle on chargecooler Zytec engines.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thanks guys!
I'll do some more investigation with the engine cold, but probably not before the end of the week (my lovely Moto Guzzi decided to completely mangle up a wheel bearing yesterday, and that needs fixing to make the bike movable).

Es

21 - 35 of 35 Posts