Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I seem to need to top off the coolant very often, and I can't see where it's leaking...
I've done a "headgasket test", and the headgaskets seem OK, as the fluid stays nice and blue. Also, the car doesn't smoke white.

Any ideas of where to look?

Cheers

Es

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Check all hose connections including heater hoses, thermostat housing gasket, radiator cap seal, engine block drain plugs and engine block weep holes.

·
Registered
1999 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur, Mulsanne Green
80 Posts
I had the exact same issue on my ‘99 Spur. There is some plumbing that is in front of the intake and then proceeds under it toward the rear of the car. There are various gaskets and o-rings that can go bad and then the coolant leaks onto the valley cover and evaporates. Never saw a leak. No head gasket problem. That is the situation on my car which is being rectified currently. Yours may have similar issues.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys!
I have seen some green in the valley, but put it down to being hydraulic fluid - and changed the pump gaskets. Will check what's going on around the thermostat housing.
@ Mike do you have a number for the Land Rover cap?

Es

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Check first the coolant cap, that's a classic. When the seal is too old, coolant overflow .
If you see no leak in the car, in the engine bay, that could be a guilty.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've ordered a Land Rover / MGB one, so I'll see if that helps!

Es

·
Registered
44 Posts
We had similar issue with new-to-us Silver Shadow. Despite passing cooling system pressure test, there was a leak(s) in the old radiator that was allowing leakage when the system got hot and pressurized, but not enough to get through all the shroud etc and leak onto the floor. But, the cooling fins showed evidence of leaked/evaporated coolant. Eventually the leak worsened so that there was no doubt...

IR

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi!
I've fitted a new cap, but that didn't seem to solve the issue, so I've just now pressurised the system to 1bar and checked for leaks.
There's a steady drip from below the engine, roughly between engine and gearbox, with the system pressurised. I think I can see the coolant collecting around the distributor and finding it's way from there, but I'm not 100% sure. I also see some fluid in the right side of the engine V, so I'm thinking the thermostat housing is the most likely site of the primary leak - although I can't really see a leak in that area 🤔
Any thoughts?

Es

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Stop guessing and throwing money to the wall...as mentioned earlier, a simple pressure test to 15# will show where the leak is.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
..or buy a small bottle of UV dye and a UV flashlight and you will find the leak, without question.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Stop guessing and throwing money to the wall...as mentioned earlier, a simple pressure test to 15# will show where the leak is.
That's what I did, and I still don't see where it's leaking from - although I haven't been underneath the car.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts