Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Turbo R, 1990 Continental
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's it, really. Does anyone know for certain? Cats became a legal requirement at the beginning of 1993, but I wonder if R-R fitted them before that date.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that, which is very helpful. It would appear that in 1989, the last year covered by this booklet, cats were fitted to cars sold in North America, Australia and Japan, but not to cars for the European market, so they were certainly not fitted to UK market cars prior to 1990. Unfortunately, it does not cover the period 1990 to 1992, during which, at some time, I assume that cats were introduced to UK market cars, in order to comply with the legal requirement for cats from 1993 onwards.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it looks as though cats were included for the NAm market as early as 1974. If my assumption that they did not appear on UK market cars until they were compulsory in 1993 is correct, that means there were almost two decades between the first and the last years to introduce cats!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have found this extract from Hansard (the official record of UK parliamentary business), in early December 1992:
Q:
To ask the Secretary of State for Transport how many responses he has received to his proposal to allow a derogation for the sale of cars not fitted with catalytic converters after 1 January 1993; how many respondents (a) supported and (b) opposed his proposal; which motor manufacturing companies (i) supported and (ii) opposed his proposal; what estimate he has made of the number of vehicles not fitted with a catalytic converter left unsold on 1 January 1993; and when he will announce his decision.
A:
Of some 400 representative organisations consulted in accordance with section 195(2) of the Road Traffic Act 1988, only 25 replied with substantive comments. Of these, 18 were in favour or raised no objection and seven opposed the derogation. The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders welcomed the measures on behalf of the industry as a whole. Of individual motor manufacturing companies, Ford, Mazda, Proton, Rolls-Royce and Rover welcomed the proposal, whereas Bristol Cars did not consider it would be of use to them. No motor manufacturers opposed the proposal. We estimate that there may be some 32,000 cars left unsold by 31 December which will benefit from the proposal. This represents a little under 2 per cent. of projected registrations this year. Having considered the representations, I made the related regulations on 19 November and they were laid before the House on 26 November.

It looks to me as though a number of manufacturers - including Rolls-Royce - had got stuck with unsold cars that would not meet the regulations after the end 1992, so were in fact still selling cars without cats into 1993.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
IIRC (and i'm going back 30+ years). Catalysts were not mandated until 1993 in the UK. RR and Bentley at the time were still using CIS-E fuel injection which only needed a single 02 sensor in front of the cat. This leads me to believe that it was never fitted to UK bound cars unless specifically requested.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts