Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I was wondering if somebody can tell me what this brown covered wire is for. It looks to be a large current carrying wire. It also looks to have got pretty hot in service at the connector joint, as the insulation has cracked off near the connection. My guess is that this has been caused by heating due to a resistive connection (I can see the connector inside is corroded). One thing is for sure, it seems stuck together and I can't separate the two halves of the connector. I really need to to make it a better connection, but I want to know what I'm dealing with first.

Any suggestions?. Take a look at the photo.

Cheers... Rob.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I know this was posted ages ago but I just joined. anyway this brown wire runs power to the whole car including hazzards my wire melted and subsequently the car just died in the middle of the street and I couldn't do a thing with it couldn't put the window up or put the hazzards on completely dead so if you ahve a problem with it get it sorted.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eddie

You are right, its an important wire. On closer inspection of the wiring diagrams, I found that this is a main power feed 'ring main' that goes around the engine bay (certainly at this point anyway). If you are stood looking at this link from the side of the car, and look accross to the otherside, but nearer the bulkhead (firewall), you will see a similar connection, and potentially in as a distressed state as this one looks on mine. On my car however, this other connection has already been re-made by a previous owner, as it is definitely not an original connection, and it looks pretty sound.
What a pity that Brown is used for power. I must say that I like the German car wiring colour system, where brown wires are always grounds. Maybe that's because I've had mostly German cars over the years (Audi-NSU/VW).

Cheers... Rob.

·
Registered
66 Posts
These connectors do run a lot of current through them.

Cut off the connectors and solder them together and cover with heat shrink is usually the best connection.

There is a sister connection on the other side of the engine. As rob mentions, this is a ring - so if one is disconnected teh other has to take twice the load. If one has completely burnt out , the other must be faulty to.

So make sure you take a look at that as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts