Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening gents.

I've been glossing over my S1 and have been drawing up a list.

What would you refurb/replace on a car that has sat for over 9years?

The bodywork is shocking, but I'll be working on that.

Mechanically anything I should look into.

Cheers

H

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll also add.

Due to future circumstances it's possible she'll be my only car, so it needs to be up to par.

H

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I would flush and bleed the hydraulic brake/height control system and replace all the flexi hoses. It would probably be wise to also clean and reseal the brake callipers checking the pistons for corrosion. You may or may not need to replace all the seals in the various brake hydraulic components e.g., brake pumps, accumulator control valves, g-valve, height control valves & rams, height control solenoid and clean out & reseal the 2 restrictor valves on the rear crossmember. On a car that has been parked up for so long it would be wise to remove the engine sump and clean it out and clean the filter gauze to the oil pump. Automatic transmission fluid will need to be replaced along with the ATF filter and differential oil changed along with the oil in the trunnions on the drive shafts. Wheel bearings may need to be replaced or at least cleaned and regreased. The coolant will need to be flushed and replaced. If the headlamps are original sealed beam units they may have gone dull and need replacement. The list can be endless, it's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string, a lot would depend on how the car was stored.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Hi Henry, As you know the Shadow is known to have a few areas, when left sitting, even for a few years, will require a thorough examination and not necessarily a full blown overhaul. The brakes/hydraulics, as you know, are well documented and should be one of your first areas of focus. Safety, with any road vehicle, is paramount and this is part of that area of focus.
After this, think about reliability, plugs, wires, cap, rotor and things that may stop you dead in your tracks. Clean all fuse contacts, unplug connectors at relays to clean, un-do visible ground hubs and clean ( locations in the FSM). Good grounds are just as imported as the B+ of a connection and often overlooked.
Check or replace coolant hoses. Even the burst of a small hose can ruin your day.

Bodywork and other cosmetics are not reliability items and come last.

Enjoy and good luck!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hi Henry,

Much would depend on how/where/why the car has been layed up in the first place.

Many old barn finds were cars that were initially layed up as repairs were going to be more costly than the car was worth....... so why has the car been stored up and not used in the first place would be good to know..

Was it also during lay up either moved on its wheels or even engine started or any other maintenence been done while stored. For sure if not ever moved at all consider your tyres will be flat spotted, and battery knackered.

Then you have to consider has this car got sentimental value to you, and then what is going to be your long term life style. ie will the car just be used locally for going down to the shops or church on Sundays or will you maybe travelling longer distances or abroad.

Then the next question is how big is your 'pension' and how much of your kids inheritance do you really want to spend on the car both to bring up to safe usage and maintenance thereafter. Money well spent though IMHO rather than the tax man getting it.:devil

For me, absolutely the very first thing would be body structure condition and I most certainly would be having a thorough inspection of the bodywork/chassis/cills/arches before I even considered spending a penny. Strip out carpets front and rear to make sure floor pans are good too. If you are expecting to have the car as an all year round car on UK roads it needs to be good metal.

However the key for any owner is also a question of what are your own personal skills and the items you are happy to do yourself and those areas where you are going to have to pay others.

It all depends really what you are starting with. Unless you have some idea or more facts to offer I would certainly not even attempt to start the car and beware of any local garage that will come along in HOPE and just jump start it.

I follow a long detailed particular procedure for testing out any old RR/B that has not been used or started up for years. Even after that though much can still be found faulty.

Let us know more what you are starting out with.

I looked over a beautiful Shadow1 last week for a friend that is now purchasing it. It was £15995 and we ended up paying £15k as cash buy. The car is near perfect and been well looked after. Had he not been a friend in all honesty I would have bought the car myself as it needs £zero to be spent on it.

Another guy has just spent over £25000 on a Shadow 1 body paint repairs, and now trying to sell it for £45k.......:eek: it is on FS cars for sale...............no chance

Two cars of my 7 classic car collection will never see a profit in value during my lifetime from what they have cost me to restore, where as one car that cost me £645 nearly 50 years ago and has had probably no more over the years than £5000-£10,000 spent on it is today worth £90,000+

The RR/B S1 T1 have crept up a little in value but just not realising a sound investment yet to spend too much money on IMHO. I have looked after my SS1 now for over 40 years but more out of love as even doing all the work myself she has been a cash cow really rather than an angel.

All the best

Steve

·
Registered
27 Posts
hi there
first, a good inspection is key. so you know before you start just how much and how long its going to take.check for corrosion in the rear trailing arms, sills wings etc.your are going to have to change tyres,a full 96000-mile brake rubber change all oils etc.if you can start it has it got any noise's tappets etc.this would be the minimum work needed and get you an M.o.T.

if it was me and I was going to do this I would go for the full overhaul total strip. remove the front and rear subframes strip clean replace all worn parts. strip engine and gearbox and check for wear etc replace liner seals etc. cost for this book hours would be about 170 hours parts well a guess 15/20k bodywork on top and cleaning and blacking on top

·
Registered
669 Posts
Mike,

I totally agree........... albeit we don't need MOT's now in UK for these old gals. For some owners that really look after their classic cars it is actually a help. Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) was a pain if the dates did not work to get a car MOT'd in time especially when we spent a lot of time abroad.

I do worry though being on the roads for the ones that don't do regular maintenance and for the cost of the yearly inspection I would always advise to get one done.

I was horrified to learn in France now the Controle Technique (MOT) will even fail a car with signs of even a small oil leak. Two of my other UK classic cars I thought oil leaks came as OE factory standard from day one:devil

Steve

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all.

She was driven to an MOT station.

Then driven back, and that was it!

She has been in the families ownership since 2002.

Just before she was parked, she had new brake lines new fluid and some other things.

She was parked in early 2010.

I've started her periodically to ensure she doesn't seize, the engine runs well, nice and quiet.

Gearbox was rebuilt in 1999 it has around 7k on it.

The front floor pans are rotten but the rears and boot floor/tank are like new.

Rear and front suspension mounting areas are like new.

Handbrake is seized off, the car rolls ha! But the handbrake handle doesn't move, not risking yanking it!

Brakes are feirce they stop the car instantly the pedal feels good

The rear suspension still self levels.

Bodywork is shocking, she was "restored" in the 90s but they used filler and arches off of scrap cars, so the work looked ok a few years ago, but now the filler has fallen out and the steel has rotted through.

The interior from the front seats back is great.

But the dashboard and front carpets have suffered, the carpets have disintegrated.

Sentiment makes for one of the reasons I want to restore her, I remember being driven around in her when I was a wee lad 18 now.

Loved the Air Con and the smell.

The 2 things I remember vividly, oddly it still smells the same! Also reminds me of a much better time, things ain't great at the moment, and she was/is a haven of peace in a troubled world

She was generally reliable drove everywhere, but eventually she just sat as her body deteriorated in a matter of months. And the fuel pump failed

The bodywork id like to have a crack at,

Interior is what I'm most concerned about, I doubt blue SS carpets are easy to find?! Picnic tables need restoring too!

My aim is crazy in retrospect,

A SS as a daily car may seem insane but I've always wanted a nice cruiser to float around in, and she just sits there.

So why not.

Running costs are a thought but I've been looking into fitting a 120 litre LPG tank where the spare wheel is mounted. A single point system would work well.

And from what I've read sitting doesn't do them any good so surely driving it can only be beneficial!

I want to drive across Europe sometime, ideally move over there.

A nice place in the mountains of eastern Europe with a SILVER SHADOW parked outside is a daydream ive been having for a while.

Cheers Gents.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hi Henry,

I did look at your profile to see what year your car was and saw you were 18 and a trainee mechanic.

So your car is in good hands and good to know regularly run despite not on the road........at 18 I was a young Trainee Naval Officer being taught all about SeaCat missiles. I bought my first car then a second hand e-Type and still have it today.

So did the car then FAIL the MOT

I have to be honest I spent many early years chasing rust around bodywork and always swore one day I would have cars and no more bad bodywork.............ever

Water gets into the front footwells either through the windscreen, plenum drain blockage, or the top of the front door where there should be a small seal pad but most cars I see don't have them fitted. Front floor pans can be replaced and carpet sets are available all colours but not quite the original quality. All outer arches and repair panels can be got but the replacement parts can be very costly.

How deep really is that sentimental value. These cars are not too expensive to buy in reasonable condition and yours appears it will be taking a lot of your time and money. Those hours doing mechanical jobs maybe for others you could earn well. Strangely breaking up the car for parts can yield very good returns too and there is a point that decision has to be taken seriously.............OK easy for me to say but I could never take on that sort of restoration on the body shell.

I admire your enthusiasm though for classic cars.

All the best

Steve

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello Steve..

I look at it from both a mechanical and sentimental value and tbh i'm teetering between restore or buy another!

TBH I've seen a fair few Silver Shadows that have been broken, and its a shame in a way to see the once elegant RR saloon turned into Mecanno bits and pieces!!

As far as i can see she needs the following..

Starting with the body.

#1 All 4 corners of both front wings
#2 Rear bottom corners of the rear 3/4 both sides!
#3 Both front floor pans.
#4 Maybe some work on the top of the wings.

Interior

#1 Front carpet set
#2 Walnut restoration rear isn't too bad front is rather bad, all lacquer has dissolved!
#3 Dash re-colored
#4 seats re-colored
#5 Sun visors freed off, the Drivers side has seized and been pulled off, so that'll need some out of the box thinking to rectify!!

Mechanically.

#1 Full fluid filter change
#2 Brake overhaul
#3 SU carb rebuild
#4 Radiator re-core
#5 Gearbox fluid change
#6 Accumulator sphere re charge / rebuild

List is longer but can't really think at the moment.

This car was bought by my Granddad who has "given" it to me, on the premise i'll do something with it..

It owes me nothing apart from good memories ;)

A Decent shadow runs £10,000 for a Shadow 1 or £15,000 + for a Shadow II from looking on the classifieds.

If i put a solid £10,000 towards this one i'm sure i could get over some of the mechanical hurdles and maybe have a solid bodyshell to paint!

Interior might be sorted too.. Maybe..

I'm maybe a tad rose tanned spec's with her, but realistically I know it won't be cheap to do a proper job..

Cheers Gents for all advice.

I appreciate it..

H

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
You could easily spend half of your budget on metal fab work, between the pan, body panels and the like.

Honestly, search for a well-sorted car that needs a little work here and there. It is a long and costly road to bring a car like yours to at least a reliable, somewhat presentable car. You can use this car for parts or sell it for parts.

I understand the emotional attachment to things, and it often clouds practical judgment.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Henry,

I understand too the attachment, but you should consider the expenses.
The job is huge and you may go from suprises to surpises.
This is an old english car, used to empty wallets when she was young, so imagine now that she is 40 + years old !!!
At leats, hear our advices as we know those ladies.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hi,

Just from the exterior bodywork it is not a project I personally would undertake to restore.

If the car was to have a much higher market value when complete then maybe a proposition. Indeed by the time you finish it prices may well have gone up.

Just looking at the welding on the inner rear wheel arch, then someone has already done some poor panel repairs and the rest looks like a lot of body filler has been used to cover up in the past.

As a rough guide the parts on the used market can fetch around 7K GBP (data from Ben at FS featured on Wheeler Dealers). That said here you are just showing cosmetic areas and you need to consider things like the front subrame and brackets and general condition of bodywork sections underneath too.

You appear to have a good complete set of parts on the car and I agree with wraithman just the bodywork will absorb 1000's and a lot of your time.

I have certainly seen better running cars regards the bodywork for well below 10K. Indeed in some cases being sold for less than what breaking the car for parts would fetch.

For me I would enjoy stripping the car down, perhaps restoring some parts and selling them on or keeping them stored ready for when you find a car with a better bodywork and maybe someone has trashed the engine or has major brake problems so selling the car off cheap. They can be found and this sort of work should be well within your current trade experience.

You say your grandad said you can have the car if you do something with it........surely this would still fit into the criteria...............

Just my opinion but in the end it is your decision.

All the best

Steve

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So..

We've concluded that it isn't really worth restoring..

However

Underneath, apart from the front floors she is in good condition, oddly.

She had the arches off of another model welded on in her past, if you run your hand behind the flare you can feel the "join" crazy!

She looked presentable once.

1999 According to Granddad ;)

Apparently she was a beautiful thing, then it went down hill, kind of makes we weary to but another, just incase it has had the same "life" :(

Just to be clear i'm not ignoring your advice it is greatly appreciated, but I dunno..

Gah!

It's only a car, why is it so difficult logic correctly dictates she should be parted out..

But...............................

H

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Henry,

If you priority is keep this car and have it work, And if you can afford to restore it and certainly not get your investment back,, go for it, without any hesitation. But the budget has to be consequent indeed.
It is clear that you are very attached to this car., feelings are much more important than money.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Henry,

If you priority is keep this car and have it work, And if you can afford to restore it and certainly not get your investment back,, go for it, without any hesitation. But the budget has to be consequent indeed.
It is clear that you are very attached to this car., feelings are much more important than money.
Hiya.

It owes me nothing really, a good example runs from £10,000 and up, now i appreciate it'll probably cost that plus 30% :nerd to get to a presentable condition, but I could buy another and end up with one the same :lol: My luck!

but being they are probably set to rise in value https://classicsworld.co.uk/classic-car-price-guide/rolls-royce-silver-shadow-buyers-guide/

It is probable that i would get a return IF I decided to sell, but thats the thing, I'm probably not going to.

Mechanicals I can deal with myself, the engine runs silently on tick over and Both the Auto Gearbox and Rear Differential are brand new, well they were 20yrs ago but both have less than 7,000 miles on them :eek: :lol:

I'm expecting to have to shell out atleast £8000 for the bodywork, that is the low obviously it'll probably end up a few grand more!

Interior, as it turns out will be reasonable, well by RR standards atleast! :) a few Hundred Pounds for carpet and trim pieces, plus another wedge for the walnut restoration, which I might have a Crack at myself :nerd

I did have a full RR check on her, to list PO etc..

SRH26532 was sold by Newbury Motors (Halesowen) Ltd., West Midlands. :D

And her original owner was..

A Certain Alistair MacLean "Ice station Zebra" :D " The Guns of Navarone" etc :nerd

Explains the tables in the back :D

H

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
If I were you, I would not consider trying to resurrect this particular example.

Given the amount of work required, even if done oneself, the probability of ever coming close to getting one's money back is very close to zero. The amount of rust that's visible would rule out the idea for me from the get-go, as what you can't see (at the moment) is very likely to be as severe.

If the car has a very strong sentimental value, then that's different, but what's been offered so far makes me think it has some sentimental value, but not enough that it would be considered "a family heirloom" to begin with.

Also, one must really ask whether the car will be used. My experience so far with these cars is that virtually none die of a normal "old age" and wearing out, but because they've been treated like "mobile sculpture" very seldom used for their intended purpose, and where a very great many problems come about because of lack of use. Sadly, right now I feel that's the situation I'm in with my cars, which makes me sad, but it is what it is. There was a local restoration shop that did a 1933 (I think, and I can't find my photos right now) DHC, twice in a 30 year period, because the first restoration "de-restored" when it was promptly stored away in a garage and never driven after the first one was done.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If I were you, I would not consider trying to resurrect this particular example.

Given the amount of work required, even if done oneself, the probability of ever coming close to getting one's money back is very close to zero. The amount of rust that's visible would rule out the idea for me from the get-go, as what you can't see (at the moment) is very likely to be as severe.

If the car has a very strong sentimental value, then that's different, but what's been offered so far makes me think it has some sentimental value, but not enough that it would be considered "a family heirloom" to begin with.

Also, one must really ask whether the car will be used. My experience so far with these cars is that virtually none die of a normal "old age" and wearing out, but because they've been treated like "mobile sculpture" very seldom used for their intended purpose, and where a very great many problems come about because of lack of use. Sadly, right now I feel that's the situation I'm in with my cars, which makes me sad, but it is what it is. There was a local restoration shop that did a 1933 (I think, and I can't find my photos right now) DHC, twice in a 30 year period, because the first restoration "de-restored" when it was promptly stored away in a garage and never driven after the first one was done.
Hiya..

I'm looking at it, and do realise it'll absorb a great deal of funds, my initial idea was to "restore" it and use it..

Can't stand the restorations where they're only used when the sun and moon align. etc :roll: :D

she would be driven with Vigor! :lol:

well not quite..

But she'd gain a good few miles, :lol:

H

1 - 20 of 34 Posts