Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new owner of a '79 T2 here.

After the car's first 50-mile run, I happened to notice two new wet spots in the passenger footwell; a large one under the dash about 1/3 of the way in from the outside wall, and another smaller one about 1/3 of the way in from the centre tunnel.

The inner one was dripping from the out outlet under the dash. I assume it is water dripping off the evaporator. Looking at the evaporator box on the engine compartment firewall, there appears to be a hose coming out of the centre-bottom of it. Is this the drain? Is it likely blocked, or are there other common faults which would cause this?

Is the other leak farther out also likely from the evaporator? I couldn't trace it's origin (it was near where the heater pipes come through the firewall, but they were insulated and didn't appear wet.

Thanks,
-- Jeff.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Hello and congrats!!

First, I must ask if you had recently washed the car, particularly if you had aimed the hose across the car while aimed at the air intake scuttle just in front of the windshield? If so, you could have (unexpectedly and unbeknownst to yourself) blasted water into the interior of your car via the ductwork. I learned this the hard way via a little flood in the car wash.

Second, get yourself over to the Rolls-Royce Owners' Club of Australia Technical Library and begin browsing the Tee-One Topics archive, with particular attention to the Index through Issue 63. There is an annotated photograph regarding AC Drain Hose Blockage in Issue 25 on page 349 that will likely help you out quite a bit.

Good luck!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Brian. I had discovered the Aussie Tech Library, but didn't notice the index to the Tee One articles, so that'll be very helpful.

When the drip first happened I was just taking delivery of the car. There was a valet finishing up with the leather when I arrived, so odds are he had power-washed the exterior immediately prior. I've since driven it 100 miles with no further drips, and was thinking the compressor must have been running less because it was a bit cooler, but the power-washing explaination makes more sense.

I'll check out the Tee One issue in any case, and make sure it isn't blocked.

-- Jeff.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a quick update: I'm now almost positive that the water was from a power-wash.

I was under the car the other day figuring out what exhaust bits I need, and I noticed that the AC drain was dripping water. (And yes, it's the hose coming out of the bottom centre of the evaporator box on the firewall/bulkhead.)

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I had wet footwells left and right after every hard rain.

Took off the air intake cap (just in front of the front windscreen) 5 parkers 8 mm. and cleaned out a lot of tree fall out material.
There are 2 drainholes left and right which run through the "firewall" and finsh in the motor area under the hood.
THEY WERE BOTH CLOCKED.
Rather easy to clean from under the hood.

After that i threw a couple of buckets of water in the air intake and everything drained perfect.

Just another problem solved :) .

Hemmo

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
There should be a foam filter that lays on a metal mesh screen under the air intake scuttle. It is Crewe part number UB19273.

These things are simple to make out of thin sheet foam and prevent all kinds of detritus from depositing itself into your air intake scuttle.

It is not uncommon for these to be missing entirely from many Shadows as they deteriorate over time and if someone gets the car without one then they have no idea that they exist.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good call Hemmo; I didn't realize there was a separate set of drains for the air intake. I'll have to check them out just in case....

-- Jeff.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thanx, i have the foam filters present, but still some treefalling had entered the airintake bay.

Anyway, this morning i discovered my left and right footwells both were wet again :?

I guess it wishes to be garaged at all the time :arrow:

Hemmo

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hemmo, I've heard the front windshields are prone to leaking. Might be something to check....

-- Jeff.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Jeyjey, i will check it asap. The blanco silicone-kit is waiting just to be used again :)

Already dried out the wet footwells again. Sorry to say, but my old Volvo's have less problems than this SS1 :?

Hemmo

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Hemmo said:
J
Already dried out the wet footwells again. Sorry to say, but my old Volvo's have less problems than this SS1
Sadly, this is hardly surprising. Anyone who buys a Rolls-Royce who's hoping for a "quirk free" car, or anything approximating that, is in for a very rude surprise!

·
Registered
235 Posts
RR SS1 or Volvo 164

However, regardless the work and costs. I LOVE MY ROLLS 8)

(the Volvo is just good transportation).

Hemmo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts