Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 67 Silver Shadow. On cold starts the exhaust spits out a very foul white smoky exhaust, then it settles down after the car warms up. I am told that the problem is leaking valve seals. Have you or anyone else tried to replace the valve seals on your own (without removing the head). There are a lot of videos online that demonstrate the process. I am reaching out to RR owners to get some feedback.

thanks

GAM

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I'm sure I've heard of someone doing this on a shadow.
I thought blue smoke would show oil burning though? not white?
Mike

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
White smoke is not indicating burning oil as in valve stem seals. I have replaced in situ many times before. You have to know what you're doing.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
It's not unusual to see grey/white exhaust emissions on initial start-up if the car has been parked up for a long time, it's usually only condensation that has built up in the exhaust pipes. Regular driving should solve that.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I agree. I thought I had a similar problem with my car last winter but it went away - must have been condensation evapourating off. I think GAM should carry out diagnostic tests before committing to any course of action.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
This is definitely one of those instances where a brief video, easily produced with a smartphone, showing exactly what's occurring would help, and help a lot.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
There is alot of condensation as a byproduct with the RR V-8 and it sits in the exhaust, in fact with original silencers there are weep holes. You will minimize the build up by opening the bonnet and the oil filler cap and let the crankcase exhaust itself of everything. You will also notice no gravy on the cork seal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is alot of condensation as a byproduct with the RR V-8 and it sits in the exhaust, in fact with original silencers there are weep holes. You will minimize the build up by opening the bonnet and the oil filler cap and let the crankcase exhaust itself of everything. You will also notice no gravy on the cork seal.
Thank you everyone for the feedback. I agree it only is severe when doing cold starts. However, the smoke is quite heavy and spreads throughout my neighbours (which is not diplomatic). I will try to run it more and attempt Wraithman's technique and see if we can observe some improvement. The exhaust smell unfortunately has created a long standing odour in the interior of the vehicle. A secondary goal is to get rid of the smell. Both my wife and I smell like exhaust whenever we take it out for a test. We bought the two RR's with the hopes of starting up a chauffeur business to operate during our retirement. So it is imperative that we get rid of the smell plus the source of the problem. We can't really have this vehicle working for our business (once covid subsides)
The cold start also creates a wet, black emission that stains the garage floor. That may be related to the moisture comment up above.
If anyone has any more insight, please pass this along as it is imperative that we resolve this issue.
As suggested, I will also create a video and upload ASAP.

Thank you all so much, cheers

GAM
67 SSh
79 Wraith II

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Check that your rocker cover gaskets are not leaking, this is a common problem where engine oil can drip onto the exhaust manifold and create fumes. If the flame trap between the engine oil filler neck and the carburettor air intake is clogged a rocker cover oil leak may be exacerbated due to pressure build up. The original rocker cover gaskets were made of cork but more reliable neoprene gaskets are now available.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Also check the heater ducts are fully seated. If a gap has appeared it provides a direct route for any fumes in the engine bay to be blown into the passenger compartment.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also check the heater ducts are fully seated. If a gap has appeared it provides a direct route for any fumes in the engine bay to be blown into the passenger compartment.
Thank you Shadow11 and Dounraey for the photos, they will help a lot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts