Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It will be a year come August since I’ve had my new (to me) 1997 Bentley Turbo R. I purchased the car knowing it had a salvage title….as the car was hit from behind.

While in the body shop and upon inspection, it was noted that the rear bumper had a pretty shotty repair in that it’s held on my “foam” see image below:

Automotive tire Wood Tread Grey Vehicle door

The whole under carriage of the bumper is like this…..so I’ve been advised that to take it off completely and repair/paint it correctly would be a massive under taking and there is no guarantee of getting back on. Plan “b” is to submit the claim for a whole new bumper…which I am not sure the Insurance company will go for…..see bumper damage below:

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

The other avenue is if the Insurance company doesn’t pay for a new bumper then they would repaint it with the bumper “on” the car. This is a very good body shop….so I was curious what avenue the forum here would take. My car won’t be a concourse car, as I drive it and enjoy it…but so still want it to look and perform as perfectly as the car can for what it is…..can you still get an exceptional paint job leaving the bumper on the car without taking it off?

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would definitely push the insurance company to pay for a full bumper to maximize the claim, however since it's already a salvage title, I would either source a used one or just have them fix the bumper while on the car. A decent shop should be able to get that looking right without removal if they have to and have seen some pretty amazing work over the years. I would be pretty blunt with them...make it clear that you are somewhat finicky and want the car looking proper once done. From the limited pictures here, it looks very doable.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
The bumper reinforcement bar is a very sturdy girder of aluminum.. The bumper is held onto the car with only 2 bolts attached to small rams to absorb impact. This has been the architecture since the series II of 1977. My 1980 has a aluminum from and a full tig welded stainless reinforcement bar on the rear.
The fact it was salvage before you got may hinder your present situation. I would go after the driver for damages and not mention the salvage title.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts