Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd really appreciate some help.

I recently acquired a rare Bentley Turbo R by Hooper (2 door).

It hasnt been driven for months (while being shipped). I drove it today and parked it at my house. Restarted engine several times this afternoon while 'playing around' with seats settings, radio etc. Several hours later I have come back to find the car wont start. The battery is not flat - its quite new & is fully charged.

The car unfortunately comes with practically no papers & only a single (normal) key - no alam or immobiliser buttons! I am lost as to what to do.

When you try starting it, it gives off 4-6 relatively loud beeps (not a siren or alarm going off), rather like an immobiliser. These beeps continue every few minutes for a whiel after you have tried starting the car or after unlocking the door.

I am trying to start in in park. Hand break is on. Lights do NOT dim when I turn key to start but stay on fully. It wouldnt seem to be an alarm thats been activated but rather an immobiliser. Anyone got any suggestions or know if there is a manual override?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hooper TurboR

Lucky Sod!

Better one of these that doesn't run, than none at all. But on the real side, you didn't say which year. 89's have no immobilizer, but 90 and later is a completely different system. Try disconnecting the battery and turn on the lights for 5 minutes to strip any electricity left in the memories. Turn off the lights, reconnect the battery and see if this helps.

Get me a year. Also, cycle the shifter back and forth. They're known for having issues. I'll check my books for any info that can be of help to you. Also, what part of the world are you in?

MB :idea:

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is an interesting discussion as I have had a similar intermittent problem with my 1990 Turbo R. Car has a keyless entry system which I believe might be after-market. The remote control has been a little flaky lately - sometimes it works, sometimes not. If the car has been locked using the remote and I unlock the car using the key, the car will not start. I assume the ignition is disconnected as part of the anti-theft system. No bleep-bleep-bleep but I hear a tick-tock-tick-tock from under the dash.

Only solution I've found is to keep futzing with the remote to get it to work. I have taken to not using the keyless anymore, just using the key as that seems to leave the system unarmed. It is not the transmission selector, if I try to start the car while not in park an idiot light tells me "Car not in park". Interesting idea about disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, I'm going to give that a try. I'm planning on having the system disabled or replaced next time I bring the car in for service.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Turbo R Immobilizer

I would leave it off. The click you hear is the relay, the alarm won't let the car start. If it's aftermarket, it should be fairly easy to find the wire that was cut and set up with a relay. If it's factory, then you just leave it off and you're fine. I'll dig up my cd on the 90 and get back to you with any details.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks MB, that would be helpful. I don't have the original manual, the one I have is for a 93 so I'm a little in the dark.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts