Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I would like to apologise to all the purest Rolls owners out there!, It has been a while since I have written to this site, I have been sorting the inherent electrical problems on my Rolls, I managed to get the central locking system to work, even though it was on the front doors only, and on the passenger side door switch, further investigation was needed, and I found a number of seemly ok connectors that had wires corroded away inside. Now both switches worked but still only on the front doors. I took off the rear door cards, the Near side solenoid was seized solid, the off side solenoid had a broken earth wire, which I repaired, and so now had 3 doors operational. It was then I thought I would like to have my doors opening remotely, I could never see the point in opening a front door then having to operate a switch to open the other doors.

I ordered a remote kit from an online biding site, for about £8, but it took ages to arrive so I decided to order a complete Kit with 4 solenoids for £15, from the same site, at the same time I ordered 6 change over relays, thinking these would come in handy when I tried to get more than the drivers window to work. I priced up another Rolls Royce Solenoid, it was around £45 second hand. In the mean time the second kit arrived, so I thought I would try one of the solenoids from the kit, I priced up a replacement from the bid web site, it was around £5 including postage! Nothing to loose then!.

Using two relays to convert the three wire system fitted to the Rolls, to a two wire system of the new solenoid, It took around two hours to complete, and it worked a treat, I used another two of the relays to get the remote unit to work the doors, while retaining the two inside buttons, so the doors could be locked from inside the car.

The Offside rear door solenoid has since become unreliable due to sticking, so that has also been replaced with a new after market solenoid, so all door work as they should.

A no brainier really, for around £25 , I have replaced 2 rear solenoids and fitted a remote control door system.

Attachments

·
Registered
652 Posts
What is the name of the manufacturer of the solenoid kit? My doors are ok but I like to keep a list of substitute parts just in case the originals become unobtainable. This info would be useful.

Geoff

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, not sure of the make , but description is "4 Door Universal Car Door Lock Keyless Entry System Remote Central Locking Kit " currently on ebay for £13.99 inc post. you can get the remote unit without the solenoids, the one I bought had a ficility for remote windows.( this unit was about £8) you can get the solenoids seperately for £3.29 (Universal 2 Wire Door Motor/Slave Lock Actuator Solenoid Central Locking Motor ) hope this helps !
Martyn

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts