Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has an intermittant fault, a sort of twittering sound from behind the dashboard that seems to be coming from the drivers side. A bit of reading around suggested the heater tap might be at fault, but this is on the opposite side of the car so I'm not sure if that is the problem. Can anyone suggest what this fault might be?

It doesn't seem to matter what the engine speed is (can happen at idle or WOT) or what electrical equipment is turned on. It's been a problem on-and-off ever since I bought the car ~20 months ago.

Regards,
Gary

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just picked up your post. I had the same problem with a Continetal R. Turned out to be a small parking receipt had dropped down inside the heater vent. By turning the air full on the screen I was able to fish it out with a tweezers.

Paul

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally discovered where the noise is coming from - the switchbox (ignition barrel and lamp switch). The sound seems to only occur now when the accelerator pedal is pressed (only tested it running on the driveway, bit hard to drive with the switchbox hanging out of the instrument panel!). But at least I've nailed down now exactly where the sound is coming from.

Now I just need to a) take it apart to find out what's broken, or b) buy a new one. And that sounds ferociously expensive.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Gary said:
Finally discovered where the noise is coming from - the switchbox (ignition barrel and lamp switch). The sound seems to only occur now when the accelerator pedal is pressed (only tested it running on the driveway, bit hard to drive with the switchbox hanging out of the instrument panel!). But at least I've nailed down now exactly where the sound is coming from. Now I just need to a) take it apart to find out what's broken, or b) buy a new one. And that sounds ferociously expensive.
Hi there, Have you been able to fix it or looking for a replacement, as I may have the part u r looking for here
http://www.shopcarpro.com/Bentley-RR-parts/1.htm depending on the year of your car.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi all
The twittering in the dashboard is the ignition unit, are there any drawing or photo's out there of a stripped unit. Sounds like a relay.
Thanks Gary

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Not that I think this will help you all that much, but here's the page for the switchbox from the parts manual. They don't do an exploded view, unfortunately.

You can see, though, that they note at the lower left that individual internal components are available.

You may want to contact the parts department at Bentley Zionsville (AKA Albers) to see if they might be able to help you with regard to an exploded view of the switchbox.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, I did'nt know the internal parts could be bought. Thats more help that you realize.
Thanks again for takeing the time to look. Gary

1 - 8 of 8 Posts