Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick electrical question — the glass 20 AMP fuse for the turning signals on my Silver Shadow II very frequently blows.

I recently had a service performed on the car including a repair of the bright headlight indicator lamp on the dash (the blue light that appears on the dash when the bright headlights are activated) as if failed to light up consistently when the bright headlights were activated by the button in the footwell. Also done at the service was a battery cutout switch installation in the trunk compartment.

I doubt that the cutout switch is involved but I can't help but wonder if the wiring for the dash bright light indicator could be shorting the wiring for the turn signals. I'm not a RR electrical mechanic so I don't know the schematics or if this is even possible...

And if not confusing enough… I have noticed a possible (?) correlation with the fuse blowing after one of the dash lights on the panel on the left side of the dash (the panel that has brake 1, brake 2, parking brake, etc) is illuminated. As the car tends to sit for extended periods it is not unusual for one of the brake pressure lights to light up for a few seconds after the car is started.

The fuse does not blow every time I run the car, but it is frequent enough (at least 2 out of three starts - and always after sitting for more than 2 days) to be a nuisance.

Any suggestions? None of the other lights are affected, including brake lights, reverse lights, headlights, hazard lights, or any other interior or trim lights. I replace the fuse and all works fine, until the next time I start the car.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had the same kind of issue on one of my SZ.
Problem was with the horn relay.
On SZ cars, the same fuse protects turning signals and horn.
My 2 cts advice :
1) check your wiring diagram ;
2) if turning signal and horn use the same fuse, start by removing the horn relay and see what happens

·
Registered
22 Posts
Pull back each rear tail light assembly and see if there is a little resistor pack leading to the lamps. If it is burnt, replace it. I don't know if all SShadows have this, but, my 1969 "home"-car did.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Incandescent bulbs, and I was surprised when I saw the bracket/pack. After a paint, the guys at the shop connected it backwards, and I had no light, some smoke, and, eventually, a blown fuse.
I recently sold the car. I will ask the gentleman purchaser if he can pull the fixture back and take a picture.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts