Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990 Bentley Turbo R, the trunk is locked in the closed position. The key is is working and the lock sounds like it is locking and unlocking, but the squeeze handle above the license plate feels like it has become disconnected from the release mechanism inside the trunk. I read some earlier posts suggesting removing the rubber bung in the floor to reach inside the trunk, but no instructions on what to do when my arm is inside the trunk! I've also read that later models have a 3/4" hole behind the license plate which gives access to the release lever, mine doesn't have the hole, but I am prepared to bore a hole in the trunk lid if anyone can give me the location of the hole in later models. Thank you, from locked out in California!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Inside it looks like this:
A - upper part of handle
B - lever
C - pull rod to the latch

On the photo it is in unlocked position. Handle A could press lever B, what moves push rod down to release the latch. When the lock is locked the lever B is raised slightly up, and handle A cannot press and move it.
The push rod is located directly at the middle of the lid.

If you can put a hand into the trunk it is needed to unscrew four bolts with screwdriver to access the lock.
Anyway, at least one of us breaks the latch instead of bore a hole. Read old posts again...

Circuit component Electrical wiring Motor vehicle Audio equipment Electrical supply

·
Registered
385 Posts
Oh, I forgot. There are nearby two holes for registration plate lamps. But to open the lid this way, you need really stiff and tricky bent wire.
Anyway, you can look at the situation with endoscope through those holes.

Circuit component Electrical wiring Gas Electronic engineering Cable

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much szdowk, this is all very helpful, I spent a few hours on line yesterday trying to find views inside the trunk lid with no luck! Your photos will undoubtedly be a great help, removing the license plate lamps may be my best bet, as I'm sure that I have items in the trunk that will restrict my access through the floor. I'll let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried removing one of the license plate lights, but I soon realized that it would be impossible to reach the lever through the hole. I opted to bore a 1"dia hole behind the license plate this gave me access to the push rod with needle nose pliers, and I was able to open the trunk. I filled the hole with a stainless steel hole plug purchased along with the hole saw at my local hardware
store. I found the problem to be a weak spring shown below with a red arrow I'll remove the press on nut and replace the spring. I'll paint the plug black. Thanks again for your help.

Shoe Plant Headgear Wood Audio equipment

Grille Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Pneumatic tool Handheld power drill Tool Drill Drill accessories

·
Registered
385 Posts
Oh, if it was the levers spring, it was possible to push it down to its place with a piece of wire... Lesson for future readers: Check the situation with endoscope ;)
Before dismantling, maybe try to just grease the joint? It is not easy to remove this clip marked with green arrow.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again, I did grease the joint, the torsion spring is proving hard to find, I figured I would just snip the push nut to remove it and replace it, if I can find a replacement spring. Thanks again for all your help....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts