Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, need advice as I’m on the market for either a Turbo R or a Brooklands (non R). Main difference is what? Stiff ride on the Turbo R? I know it has more boost too. But I’m looking for a smooth ride and I’m unable to test drive either one since I will be buying remote and will have it shipped. Just don’t want to buy the wrong one. Your kind advise is much appreciated.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Texas,

At Jaguar we used to build two different suspension set ups for US and Germany.........US was a jelly mould ride and Germany a rib cage rattler.

All I can say if you are not going to see the car personally you really need a knowledgable person to look over the car for you.

Can't help with general ride quality between models as I find most RR/B a dream to ride in.

Steve

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
The best advice is to have ANY RR/B checked out by a knowledgeable tech that knows the marque. It may cost you a few hundred, but I can almost guarantee you that buying a car unseen and not checked out beforehand will cost you far more than the inspection.
This forum as well as others regularly get drop ins that have buyers remorse being up late and getting wild eyed and stiff in the pants when they see something "that's a good deal"
Either model will give you a ride that you will enjoy...only if its reliable.

Hope for the best.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i defer to the senior members. i am a newbie. my 1997 turbo r has a firm "sporty" suspension that attracted me to the car. i believe the brooklands, except for late year models, has a plush softer suspension

·
Registered
669 Posts
Larry no need to defer to anyone:devil you are the only one answering Texas' question:x

I think wraithman and I just picked up on the worry of buying a car unseen.

Steve

·
Registered
39 Posts
My R has very compliant suspension for the road, certainly not hard.

As others have said, get it checked by someone. I bought mine sight unseen and am paying the price. Although, once the new head gaskets are fitted it will be a very nice car 🤪

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I should go and test drive the cars, leaning more towards Brooklands for a less sporty ride, but I should really be looking at it and not buy in the blind. I know that I’m getting into a vintage vehicle and can’t expect it to be all perfect, but you guys are right, got to buy an airline ticket and do a few day trips to go see each one. At least I will be able to compare. Some of these cars haven’t been driven in 2 yrs but only 30-70 miles. I wonder what the gas tank/lines/filter look like by now. Starting to get cold feet now...

·
Registered
669 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Texas that looks a nice clean engine bay. I assume you are looking at the gaffa tape wrapped around the air intake plastic on hose to turbine.

Either hose shrink back or someones damaged plastic lid for retention so looks an easy fix either way I suppose.

It may be a common issue so someone will no doubt know exactly what has happened.

Steve

·
Registered
26 Posts
So I saw a 1990 Turbo R today, and I noticed this on a hose connected to the turbine. Easy fix I imagine?

https://images.craigslist.org/00g0g_kxSCjBKXB0g_600x450.jpg
Apart from the horrible image quality, the flexible airhose connected to the turbocharger is an easy fix.

But I would consider following thought: If an owner could not even properly rectify such a single issue on his car, how may have he dealt with more complex problems?

If you consider ca prestine car, you may ask Rodd Sala of Parkward Motors. He may find you a very nice Turbo R.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Apart from the horrible image quality, the flexible airhose connected to the turbocharger is an easy fix.

But I would consider following thought: If an owner could not even properly rectify such a single issue on his car, how may have he dealt with more complex problems?

If you consider ca prestine car, you may ask Rodd Sala of Parkward Motors. He may find you a very nice Turbo R.
I thought the same thing this car was in terrible shape. And they wanted way too much money. They said the paint was just redone, but found lots of spider cracks, the interior was messy at best. I decided to buy a 97 Brooklands that is in tip top condition and ultra clean. I’ve been shopping for a SZ for at least three years and finally pulled the trigger. I’ll post pictures as soon as I get it since it’s being shipped and hopefully will be in the garage on the first week of December..

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Those car are a superior pleasur when they are in superb mechnaical and cosmetic condition, otherwise, they are like a common car and could develop very annoying issues.

Yes, my advice is to buy the one in the best conditions and maintain it to the same level regularly.
Maintenance should be based on time, not on mileage for those cars, as suggested by owners handbook for late SZ

1 - 14 of 14 Posts