Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. This car has been too good to me this year and I feel like I’m due for bad news soon.

For a while I’ve noticed this smell in heavy traffic or when idling; when I pull away there’s a tiny puff of white smoke out the back of the exhaust and then it’s gone.

With winter season a few months away I thought I’d ask now in case I have a big job to save for!
Thanks

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
It could very well be trans fluid thru a faulty vacuum modulator valve on the gearbox or IF it is oil you may have worm valve stem seals. Does it puff out first start in the morn?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Pay attention to start up first thing in the morning. If you get a big puff, it would be valve stem seals , otherwise ATF as Robert indicated.
FYI, in my experience
Gray / Blue smoke is oil
White smoke is water
Black smoke is too much fuel

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
vacuum modulator valve
Pay attention to start up first thing in the morning. If you get a big puff, it would be valve stem seals , otherwise ATF as Robert indicated.
FYI, in my experience
Gray / Blue smoke is oil
White smoke is water
Black smoke is too much fuel
No smoke on startup, takes around 5-10 seconds - I imagine that’s just the usual white smoke you get from the water in the exhaust?
Had not considered the vacuum modulator value, I will do some reading up.
The smoke looks somewhat grey Thanks

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Make sure indeed you do not have coolant in the oil or oil in coolant.
Hope you are not preparing a headgasket failure.

Maybe you should have your coolant test for gases in it
Here is an example
https://www.amazon.com/UView-560000-Combustion-Leak-Tester/dp/B000NPDL76/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=head+gasket+test+kit&qid=1594732989&sr=8-2

DOn't know where you leave, but exhaust condensation is usually not in summer, rather in winter, spring, when the engine warms and its not very hot outside. If you have just a little smoke that should be ok, but if its a consequant smoke, all the time when the engine is hot, thats very surprising in summer in your are in a hot area.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Make sure indeed you do not have coolant in the oil or oil in coolant.
Hope you are not preparing a headgasket failure.

Maybe you should have your coolant test for gases in it
Here is an example
https://www.amazon.com/UView-560000-Combustion-Leak-Tester/dp/B000NPDL76/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=head+gasket+test+kit&qid=1594732989&sr=8-2

DOn't know where you leave, but exhaust condensation is usually not in summer, rather in winter, spring, when the engine warms and its not very hot outside. If you have just a little smoke that should be ok, but if its a consequant smoke, all the time when the engine is hot, thats very surprising in summer in your are in a hot area.
Thanks Jean, there wasn’t any smoke really when I had it running yesterday. I have now purchased the kit, arriving on Friday, I am praying it’s not my head gasket!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts