Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a problem with the left low beam headlamp on my Turbo R not working. But the left main beam headlamp is doing strange things too. This is an early 89 car with the round Cibié headlights.

What happens - with the ignition on - is as follows:

Light switch in 'parking lights' position:
Left Low beam - very dim
Left High beam - very dim
Right Low beam - side light on
Right High beam - off

Light switch in 'headlights' position, dip switch set to 'dipped beam'
Left Low beam - very dim
Left High beam - very dim
Right Low beam - on
Right High beam - off

Light switch in 'headlight' position, dip switch set to 'main beam'
Left Low beam - off
Left High beam - on
Right Low beam - on
Right High beam - on

When 'very dim', the lights produce an extremely dim, dark yellow light - much dimmer than the correctly working side light.

When this problem first happened it was as above but I managed to get the lights working normally again for a couple of days by toggling the dip switch a few times. That doesn't work any more, but it makes me think the problem could be with a relay.

Can anyone say what the problem is and what parts I'd need to fix it?

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Your car has been in service for 30+ yrs and it's time to do some housekeeping, starting with clean ground points (see the workshop manual) and relay contact cleaning. After cleaning a protective grease can be applied to save your hard work avail online or at box stores.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Wraithman could be right. At first glance sounds like problem with ground points. Check rear lamps too.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Yours may have dim dip option, you can opt out by changing the plugs over under the lh cover by the brake reservoirs.
But you also have bad earths like mentioned earlier.
Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which connections would be the best place to start? I admit I'm useless with this stuff, and I have to drive to Goodwood and back in the dark tomorrow/Saturday...

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hi!
There are some connectors behind the headlamps that can be reached. Pull each open in turn and spray some contact cleaner in before you reconnect them.
There's also a headlamp fuse box right behind the left hand spring tower. Pull all the fuses in turn and apply contact cleaner.

Not very scientific, but it might just work 😉

Cheers

Es

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
OK Es,

On the right side of the engine bay, dou you have an electronic ECU for headlights like this

They say it start at chassis : 24514
So as you are after this number you may have it.
If MCW is after this number he may have it too

The symptoms he describes are part of the symptom of this ECU failure.

Not sure its that, but that's a way to start.
Connexion first with electrical spray against oxydation.
Then iopen ECU annd check inside for damages or very ofte, old capacitors leaking and acid eating the components.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts