Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

Trying to identify a Mk VI special

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Superthecoop 
#1 ·
Can anybody tell me what I have here please.... I’m in Queensland Australia.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Vintage car Classic
Metal Iron Font Number Wood

See less See more
#3 ·
It started as a Standard Steel saloon in Tudor/Shell Grey, body number 4505. Original engine B153M, 4.5 L. First owner Allworth Trust Co. Ltd, UK Reg NTU708. First noted in Aus in 2001, owned by a Saunders with reg. 735BYR. Built as a Special by unknown and reg as CYF374. The combination of red and white and the radiator position not altered makes me believe I saw it for sale in Sydney a few years ago with a silly price attached. The chassis plate has been riveted on to a non standard firewall. I would also be curious to see more pics and even the car itself (as I'm just over the border from you)

#4 ·
Hi mate... yep, this was for sale for a ridiculous price($250K). It ended up being used as a deposit on a block of land in SE Qld. I purchased off the developer who took it as part payment.
It appears to be modelled on the Halse vehicles but had to ascertain whether it is a Halse vehicle.

#6 ·
1 of 16 Halse Bentley Mark VI Specials .. from memory there are 5 done in white, one in the U.S., one in Canada, one in the U.K., yours in Australia, and one in Texas that is in pieces awaiting restoration. Japan has a black one and a green one. There is a cream coloured Halse in Ireland. There is a red one in the U.K., and an orange one in the U.K. that was a California car for the bulk of it's life but then went back to it's homeland. There is a green one in the U.S. Ours is a twin to yours; fully restored and identical except ours has wire wheels. Yours has it's picture on Pinterest; a photo taken maybe two decades ago, in that photo your Halse is in mint condition. These cars are true specials built by Tony Halse of Halse Engineering in Sussex U.K. If you google "Halse Bentley Special" you will find some of the other cars. If you do a google image search you will see the picture of your car that now resides on Pinterest; as said, older picture of it, guessing I first saw the picture of your car maybe 2 decades ago. Ours looked rougher than yours when we first got her but now she's immaculately restored and likely the cleanest and most-polished of the Halse Specials; my point is that you have a rare gem and it's worth getting her cleaned up. Ours is very fast, has left some of our more modern cars in it's dust. Yours is the real deal, not a kit car, ... and it's worth serious loot to the right collector. Below is 3 photos of ours and I copied the thumbnail of what must-be yours (can't remember my pinterest password).

Any questions just ask.
Cheers.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Oscar, thanks for the information mate. I haven’t been back on the forum for quite some time and I was surprised but thankful for your detailed reply. Are our cars listed in the Bentley Specials and Special Bentleys book?? Also, what do you think these are worth in the current market. Mines an 8/10 I’m the bodywork and drivetrain and a 6/10 for the interior

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.