Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

The magnetic charge connector on my car seems to have given up. Bentley has quoted me the GDP of a small country to replace it.

Does anyone know whether a C-Tek trickle charger will work via the cigar lighter, or does it switch off after a while?

Many thanks

· Registered
4,715 Posts
I believe there is a component within your vehicle that will deliver the charge to the starter battery or the house battery when needed so the cigar lighter is not a good option.

· Registered
2,593 Posts
Original Bentley charger for your car is normally manufactured by Ctek, but branded Bentley, like for others luxury brands.
I know those magnetic connector on the exterior boot, above license plate. They work by induction, so not easy to check with another device.
Well of course you could find another system to load your car, the best in my opinion is the original system, including to resell the car. Other option is another Ctek, non magnetic , plugged directly to battery.
Personnally I don't like so much through cigar lighter.

Maybe you should ask an electrician to identify your issue . Is it the charger itself, the magnetic system on the boot ( surpising) or connexion to the battery.

Here is the charger ; BATTERY CHARGER (UK Spec) (2012 onwards) (3Y0915685)

Ask Flying Sp if they have the other magnetic parts on the boot. You may save the original system for less than UK / GDP !

Maybe this magnetic socket for you, but check everything with F/S and your VIN

· Registered
3 Posts
I know Audi Owns Bentley, and I own a 2014 RR Wraith design with the help of BMW engineers. Here is what I foud if you plug anything into the cigerate lighter it will sense that as a current draw and with disconnect it after a few minutes. I charge my Wraith thru a magnetic connector in the truck with a C-TEC MultiUS 7002 from Amazon using the SnowFlake mode ( AGS Battery) and works fine.
RR has also provided battery connecting points under the bonnet for jump starting purposes that I could also use to charge my AGS battery under the trunk. Hope this extra info helps you.

Moderator note: As this is only your second post please take a moment to read through "Instructions for navigating the site" and "How to reply to a discussion thread" in the FAQ section, link here:FAQ There are other topics there that you may find informative. Please note also that it is not necessary to quote a previous post in your reply if you are following the train of thought in the thread, it just clutters up the thread unnecessarily. Thanks, Jim.

· Registered
3 Posts
When I first got my RR Wraith I got the magnetic charging adapter for my C-Tek charger . Plug it in for a few days and noticed it was not charging the battery. Dealer said to check the fuses. Good luck with that. Took a VOM to the trunk magnet connector and did not read any voltage, so I pulled down the trunk liner and reached underneath to the connector to see if I could trace back the charging leads. Nothing was connected to the backside of the port. No wonder it was not charging the battery. Factory never connected the leads. As I pulled my hand out two leads fell down, so I connected them to the backside of the charging port. Voila, as is good to go.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bit of an update on this.

To recap - my Bentley charger with magnetic connector won't work. So I connected one of my C-Tek chargers via the cigar lighter socket. At that point, the car worked fine and had no starting issues.

The charger started at "half charge" and then the full charge light began flickering and stayed that way. I was not super concerned.

Today was a dry day so I thought I would take out the Bentley. However it would not respond to the key fob, the boot (trunk) would not open and I had to unlock the door with the key. I assumed the car had "gone to sleep" but no, each time I stopped the car I had no electrics for the ancillaries. I had to left turn the key to engage the other battery and then things worked.

So, it SEEMS, that using the C-Tek via the cigar lighter socket has either drained the small battery, or otherwise messed something up.

Any ideas chaps please?

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bet the batteries are the originals, the car is a 2015. But doesn't it seem like too much of a coincidence that it's only since using the cigar connected C-tek that the problem has arisen?

· Registered
4,715 Posts
A car is loaded with active modules that stay "ready" for a command, hence a starter battery and a "cabin" battery. There would most likely be more modules in the latest version of your model, so comparing an older model with a newer one would not be an accurate comparison regarding battery drain. If you maintain your batteries they can last, but do you risk failure in an unknown neighborhood? or a wonky alarm system failure?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts