Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a couple of cars that seem to really dislike my trickle chargers and it's not related to a particular brand but more obvious with the viking trickle charger from Harbor Freight as it has an LCD display that indicates the voltage.

The symptoms are that the charger would charge the battery up until fully charged and go into mtc mode (green light). It would not detect that the battery voltage has dropped to a point where the charger needs to turn itself back on and charge the battery, eventually killing the battery.

I've seen this happen on 3 of my Crewe cars and a Mercedes SL55 and the only way i can get the battery charger to recharge is to disconnect and reconnect it.

As I mentioned, the problem is limited to 4 of my cars , happened even after I replaced the battery and it has occurred with different chargers. It's more obvious with the viking because of the volt reading on the LCD gauge, as you can see that the voltage has dropped below 12 volts, even though the charger is reading fully charged. On the chargers without the LCD panel. you'd never know and assume that the battery is fully charged.

Has anyone experienced this?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Stop playing with toys and purchase a CTEK. They just work.

They now private label for most of the European OEM's.
Audi, Aston Martin, Bentley, BMW, MB, McLaren, Porsche, Rolls, and probably a few others.

I have been using them for over 10 years with no issues. They keep my fleet of toys in battery tip-top shape.

Since you are using OEM diagnostic tools you should purchase the CTEK MULTI US 25000.
This charger features a 25 Amp supply mode that can satisfy the requirements of the vehicle while performing diagnostic scans and programing.

My guess is that your Viking charger is sensing that the battery is aged and is protecting the car/battery.
Most "intelligent" chargers will sense that the battery is aged/bad and will stop charging them in order to prevent overcharging, overheating, and boil over.

If your battery is over 4 years old and has not been properly maintained intelligent chargers usually won't charge it.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not averse to throwing money at a problem but in this case I'm not sure that the charger is the issue. The batteries on two of those cars were replaced and still had the same same issue. Different batteries and different charger. Same symptoms. I think that my Arnage already has a CTEK built in. I'll probably give one a go (or a Noco as I love their products). The problem with then is that they don't have a digital readout of the voltage so I won't be able to tell the voltage at a glance. Yes, I can carry my multi meter around but I have a few cars sitting on a charger so the convenience factor is important.

·
Registered
59 Posts
CTEK's solution is the CTEK Comfort Indicator Clamps. No need for a voltmeter/display. Search youtube for demo videos.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts