Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I think it's Ford, not GM. The engine electronics borrow heavily from the same period EU specification Ford along with some NA market Ford emission control parts.
That would jive with it being a 4D60 transponder as those were used in a number of European Ford models.
Thank you for the suggestions guys.

·
Administrator
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I took the original key to the local locksmith today and he was able to clone the transponder. He didn't have the exact shape transponder to fit in my factory key duplicate, so it is in a plastic key head that hangs on the chain with the factory duplicate and works fine. So at least I now have a backup key in case the original gets lost. Since it has saved me a 600+ km round trip to the dealer and unknown amounts of $$$ I'd say this is a win.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Searching for you, I found this adress, don(t know if it could help.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Stirling,

And this shows that the system in the Bentley is a pretty straightforward proximity-sensor-based one. The programmed chip is read once it is close enough to the ignition inside the car, but need not be in the actual key head.

I've used this fact to my advantage by making my hidden exterior key (for my Toyota) be like the one you're using - cut correctly to open the door and turn in the ignition, but without a chip, so that were it to be found by someone intent on making off with the car, they can't. I've got a separate key that has a functioning chip, but that was miscut, in the car that allows it to be started when held near the ignition with the chipless key doing the turning.

If you feel like testing, try moving the chipped head away from the ignition after the car is started. In most of these systems it will just keep on going. It is only used to decide whether the car should start, but not whether it should stay running once started.

·
Administrator
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I thought your trick with the hidden extra transponder would work. What I didn't realize was how easy it was for any locksmith to make a duplicate transponder. Now one would think it would be just as easy to clone these ancient Clifford keyless entry remotes...

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Well, theft of cars is a crime of opportunity, for the most part. You can't clone a transponder chip that you don't have "handy."

Possession is not only nine tenths of the law, it's also the first and foremost element of security, for anything. If you're the one who has physical security over a given thing, you're in pretty good shape. And when two parts are needed, the probability of a random thief finding both in very rapid succession is low (at least if you're clever about where you hide the two pieces).

·
Registered
59 Posts
I took the original key to the local locksmith today and he was able to clone the transponder. He didn't have the exact shape transponder to fit in my factory key duplicate
Did your locksmith mention if it is a 4D60 transponder?

it's Ford, not GM. The engine electronics borrow heavily from the same period EU specification Ford along with some NA market Ford emission control parts.
I checked my spare wiring harness and found that the electrical connector between the wiring harness and the Zytec computer is Ford.

·
Administrator
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
He said it was a "MH/GTI", and specifically mentioned the slash. But then the piece he actually sold me was a "GTH" not a "GTI".

On the bag it came in it says "AUK-NSL-GTH". Looking online it appear GTH refers more to the plastic key case than the actual transponder. I see that GTI is a Silca "universal glass transponder" so this very well could replace a 4D60 transponder. It says it can copy Texas transponders which I think is the manufacturer of the 4D60.

Does your key head have a little plastic holder for the glass chip, or does the glass chip simply slide into your key by itself?
Do you have a RR and/or Ford part number for that wiring harness? I'd like to add it to my substitute parts list.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts