Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a new uncut key on eBay to make a spare for my 1997 Turbo R. It came without the little transponder chip in it which will need to be programmed with an Omitec.

Can anyone confirm what is the correct transponder chip to fit in there? I've seen it mentioned that it looks like a 4D60.

·
Registered
873 Posts
My suggestion would be to take the chip out of your key and match it. In my experience with these cars. The company did not standardize on stuff or document well.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
A locksmith may very likely be able to detect chip type without ever literally seeing the chip.

Reactions: szdowk

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I agree, do not touche your original key. You are not sure to be able to make a second one.
You will be in serious problem if you cannot start the car anymore and have no extra key.

Are you sure you can program a new one with omnitec ?

The only personn I know who could really confirm key transponder is Bowling Engineering in UK, either John himself who is Getleman or Grahm who is a second Gentleman.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
OK, good to know.

Stirling, sorry to ask here but as you are here, a question for you.
I don't see the option to erase completely a message as there was before the new site .
For example if I want to erase this one completely just after rtiing , iis it possible within 5 mn ?

·
Administrator
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sorry Jean7 I don't know. If you're not seeing that option under the three dots in the upper right of your post (and you may not be seeing those 3 dots - that might just be me) then I can always delete posts for you.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Thanks Stirling, I have the 3 spots with 2 options, Edit / Report.
If I edit and erase the text, t does not accept.
That's just a detail I thought maybe there was a way to do it.

·
Administrator
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm just learning about transponder 'cloning'. Has anyone tried cloning their transponder key rather than programming it with the Omitec/Mastercheck?

·
Registered
873 Posts
It's basically a resistor. I bought a Chevy dually pickup truck with a missing key at auction. We ended bypassing the transponder using a set of inline resistors. It was a bit of trial and error but it worked. I suspect that whatever RR uses is likely based on the GM setup. As Brian indicated, there's probably a way to match the pellet and a lock smith will be able to sell you what you need.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Al,

I actually doubt that what RR/Bentley used is in any way related to the GM PassKey-II system, which I actually have on my 1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon, but is like most modern systems that use a proximity sensor in the ignition itself to read the code on a chip once it's brought in close enough contact with it. The GM system had that chip, which was a simple resistor, and there were only 10 of them, in the key blade itself and it's a simple matter to figure out which of the 10 resistor values are needed in a key blank to be cut. If you've got a working key, all you need is a multimeter.

Contrast that with the proximity sensor that is used in my 2004 Toyota, where the security light will blink until the key is either actually inserted into the ignition, or the key head (and only the key head) is placed into just about the same physical space it would be in if it were inserted in the ignition. There is also an elaborate procedure (that owner's aren't supposed to know about, but do thanks to the internet) where you can have chip key blanks cut and then program them yourself, sans any equipment, following the steps necessary. That chip has to be programmed to match what the car expects, typically using the car itself either with "the procedure" or a dedicated Toyota software that can throw the car into key programming mode.

It's really simple to disable PassKey-II if you so desire. I've had off and on problems, but so far if a new key has been used they go away, and for a very long period of time.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Thanks Brian, I'm probably going to bite the bullet and buy a replacement alarm unit or have mine repaired. If it's not turning off when the key is switched to run, then I suspect that there's a problem.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I think it's Ford, not GM. The engine electronics borrow heavily from the same period EU specification Ford along with some NA market Ford emission control parts.
You could be right, I checked the part # of an air mass sensor once and it cross referenced to the same part from a Ford Fiesta.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Whoever makes the system.. a good automotive locksmith with a key transponder clone tool can determine the type of transponder and if it is cloneable. The Xhorse VVDI is a tool that can perform the ID and clone. YouTube it if interested.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts