Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think the idea behind no drain plug was to motivate you to replace the filter which is important and cleaning the magnet that is usually found within the pan. Notice the grey sludge...that's from the multitude of gears, plates, bands, etc. The drain plug makes draining so much easier and mess-free. I have seen cast pans with drains for TH400's.
Yes there is number of after-market alloy pans offered by after-market parts outlets for the T400 - I considered purchasing one but decided it was not appropriate for the Corniche when repairing the transmission as below.

The T400 on DRH14434 [1973] did not have a magnet in the oil pan as installed by RRMC however I did add one when reassembling the transmission after a major fluid link when the pipe to the transmission oil cooler decided to be incontinent and the transmission clutch packs failed when I managed to force the car up my drive into my garage with the transmission haemorrhaging fluid everywhere. so it could be repaired with a B&M T400 overhaul kit I sourced from the USA.

T400 oil pans - Summit Racing

:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yes there is number of after-market alloy pans offered by after-market parts outlets for the T400 - I considered purchasing one but decided it was not appropriate for the Corniche when repairing the transmission as below.

The T400 on DRH14434 [1973] did not have a magnet in the oil pan as installed by RRMC however I did add one when reassembling the transmission after a major fluid link when the pipe to the transmission oil cooler decided to be incontinent and the transmission clutch packs failed when I managed to force the car up my drive into my garage with the transmission haemorrhaging fluid everywhere. so it could be repaired with a B&M T400 overhaul kit I sourced from the USA.

T400 oil pans - Summit Racing

:)
Once again, thank you to both OZ and WRAITHMAN.

GAM

·
Registered
13 Posts
Once again, thank you to both OZ and WRAITHMAN.

GAM
Only too happy to help - this is what our forums are all about sharing information and advice that others provided to us when needed to help maintain and preserve our vehicles together with our own experiences.

All we ask is new custodians continue this practice to ensure our vehicles are able to be driven and enjoyed long into the future. We all can learn from the experience of others shared with us through forums such as this.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
There should be no fluid upon removal. There is an O ring and bolt. Make sure there is a new elbow and clamp of some kind, either pinch or hose clamp.
Draining is removal of the pan and plan a small mess with absorbent mats or like. Best to loosen bolts on one end and tilt to drain a little. You will need the required amount of fluid as per the owners manual or workshop manual. This is a straight forward drain, replace filter and pickup O-ring, pan gasket and re-fill. Look up GM TH-400 re-fill on YTube.
DISAPPOINTED !

"There should be no fluid upon removal" is false. I l finally tried to replace the vacuum modulator today. I was lying on my back under the transmission, as I only had enough clearance for my body and a bit for my arms. When I pulled the old valve out of its socket, tranny fluid gushed out all over my face, eyes, in my mouth eye, soaked my entire head and my worksheet. I couldn't see to storm the storm. What a mess!. I do not know why you would tell me that I should expect no fluid. I simply asked the question to prevent this from happening. Does anyone know why this transmission should be any different?

Anyway, I secured the new modulator and tested the fluid levels. Fortunately, I had some backup. Unfortunately, when I test drove the vehicle my shifting into D still existed. The revs remained in second gear and never reached Drive even at speeds of 60 mph.

I am off to a tranny shop on Wednesday.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
You overfilled the gearbox. You can search for youtube answers as well. You can swap out the modulator without draining the gearbox. Read section T11 of the workshop manual.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts