Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, hope you are doing well and enjoying your fine automobiles.

I did a full service on my new to me '89 Turbo recently including transmission oil + filter.
As per the service manual I added 4.5L of Dexron II fluid down the dipstick tube. There don't appear to be any leaks from the transmission sump and the fluid that drained looked to be in good shape so I'm fairly certainly the fluid is staying in the gearbox.

Now I've got the car back on the ground and running again (it took a while as some of my hard fuel lines failed when I was doing the fuel filter and I had to get a flexible line made up to go up and over the rear axle) I wanted to check the level.

So here is my problem: when following the process in the manual for the hot level check (drive on highway for 15+ miles before checking and have the engine running) I cannot get the level to register even on the lowest point of the dipstick which is around 1.5 inches below the full hot mark. As I had the sump off the transmission for a few days I thought perhaps more fluid had drained out than at a normal service - so did some additional topping up with the engine running - now I am at approx. 5.2L (vs. 4.5L from the service manual) and it is still not showing any oil on the dipstick when hot and engine running. When the car cools and the engine is not running I am able to see oil on the lower part of the dipstick but I know this level is meaningless. However I thought the level rose when the transmission oil was hot but it seems to be the opposite in my case. No oil has been expelled through the dipstick tube.

So what do you folks think? Is it just that I did a really full drain by leaving the sump off for a few days and should I add say another .5L and give that a go (which would bring me to 5.7L which is 1.2L more than the service manual calls for? I can extract out some oil via the dipstick tube if I overfill so no issues there.

thanks for any advice. the car seems to be driving great and the gearchanges sound fine but its obviously concerning not to see the correct level on the dipstick. I am 99.999% certain everything went back together inside the transmission in terms of the 2 x O-Rings and the bracket and so on and I tested the dipstick was working before bolting on the sump

thanks for any advice. Kevin

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Don't get caught up in the quantities, use the dipstick as your guide. When the car is off alot of oil drain back from the torque converter into the trans sump hence the level rises.

If you are getting no reading after a warmup drive, put in park, check the level again after adding another quart. You simply require more fluid, and check again on a level surface. It seems you have just enough to deliver pressure to the trans valve body to move the car. Careful here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply, yes i'll go by the dipstick and add another .5L and progress from there - it has to show up sometime!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi Kevin,
I just serviced mine too. With about 4.5l put in cold, the level was about 5mm below minimum. Wenn hot, that translated to about 2/3 between min and max. Adding about 1/2l put the level up to just under max.
I'd go with what the dipstick says!

Cheers

Es

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Remember the level must be done after driving at least 20 km / miles , engine iddling , transmission on P.
Otherwise , in other conditions you may have too much or not enough.

Between mini and maxi, it's about a can of coke , so slowly when adjusting final level.
It takes time , you need to check several time cleaning each time the dipstick.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, I got there in the end....i added another litre or so which got me onto the hatch markings with the engine and transmission hot and engine still running (and in P) after a 30 min highway drive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts