Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'll post pics of the installed rear components next week. The pic I posted was last week as it is now bare of all pipes, clips, hoses, height components, contols,etc.
Stay tuned.
My game plan is to finish the car completely by the end of June.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Yes, I used Enginetech S-2980 positive seals Twenty seals , shipped for under $20. You can also eliminate the extra spring that is used to keep the old style compressed.

All plugs were removed to ease crank rotation. I use a long plastic straw to determine TDC by watching the travel of the straw, then used a compression tester that has a quick connect coupler and fed 100psi to keep the valves up when the spring is compressed. A small wand magnet is very handy when releasing the valve stem collets

Thanks for the info much appreciated,

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hi Geof,
Fortunately, this winter has been a godsend in that it is rather warm with only a dusting with one snow occurrence early in the season. The room does not get very cold, thank god because I have alot of spray cans and other paint products there.
I work in insulated coveralls and very comfortable and it keeps my regular clothing free of dirt.

The carriage house is rather large and divided into 2 areas below. The main workshop is 50 x 30 with a 16' ceiling and is heated (when used) with a typical hanging warehouse heater that is very effective.
The adjacent room is 35 x 35 with a 30' ceiling. large corner staircase and catwalk going across the span. This is the main entry room and when I disassemble and complete the cleaning, painting and collecting parts, they go on Metro wire racks that roll around this way everything is organized.
Everything in the main shop is on wheels except a huge floor mounted vise and of course the Mohawk lift.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Latest....I started this project 3 months ago. Rear subframe was stripped, primed, painted and installed. Final drive was washed in a heated engine block washer to remove all internal crud. Installed rebuilt brake pumps, pressure regulators and accumulators on the finished motor. They were rebuilt and tested by Kelly @ British Tool Works.

Final drive and cross member will be mounted tomorrow and hopefully the motor will be dropped into the restored front subframe and together the body will be dropped onto it this weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Finally, rear suspension, drive train, hydraulics, every fastener is replaced and installed. Waiting for carb seal kit to arrive to finished and install carb set on the motor and will lower body onto the front subframe to complete this phase of the restoration.

Next will be to get the motor running and hydraulics bled so it can be moved outside for body prep.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
A labour of love. Do you intend to rustproof the inside of the wings and the sills with waxoyl or similar rust repellent?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I removed all undercoating that was failing. Primed all exposed metal with rust primer. There is no rust on the car anywhere. The inside of the wings will be re-undercoated like factory. The fiberglass inner wing panels are perfect and new black oxide pozidrive screws will be used.

Every collector car I owned was never driven in the rain or washed with a hose and had a car cover.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
You're certainly paying attention to minute detail Wraithman and the car will appreciate your fastidious treatment, it's obvious that you are true custodian.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Trapped water is one of the leading causes of rust, especially when it gets into places where you can't dry or rely on evaporation.
Daily driver, no problem, in fact, I rarely wash my white 1998 Grand Cherokee.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Trapped water is one of the leading causes of rust, especially when it gets into places where you can't dry or rely on evaporation.
Daily driver, no problem, in fact, I rarely wash my white 1998 Grand Cherokee.
Interesting, I'd get why salt water (road salt silt etc) would be a problem but would not have expected fresh water to a problem. I rarely wash my cars, or cut my grass for that matter :)

Jokes aside, I admire the level of detail that you're putting into this car. I'd be very interested in seeing you restore a mercedes someday.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Al, I have. A Mercedes 600 Grand, and foolishly sold it! It runs rings around a Shadow and less complex. Also had a 1962 300d Adenauer, a nice 300SE W126 and a 560SEL. I like the 80's era W126 body along with the 280 sedans of bygone days.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Al, I have. A Mercedes 600 Grand, and foolishly sold it! It runs rings around a Shadow and less complex. Also had a 1962 300d Adenauer, a nice 300SE W126 and a 560SEL. I like the 80's era W126 body along with the 280 sedans of bygone days.
That's really neat. I was very active in those circles a few years ago and was on the board for the International M-100 group, as well as being the webmaster. I still have a couple of 6.3's that I tinker with, i'm not sure which of the cars I hate more :)

I also own probably one of the nicest 560SELs on the planet. It belonged to a friend of mine that I met from the M-100 group, who sold it to another friend from the M-100 group. Unfortunately, he was rear ended pretty hard one evening when he was driving home and was totaled by insurance company. I bought it when I saw it come up at auction because I knew what it was and all the history with it. It needs the quarter, trunk floor and rear panel replaced. I have all the parts and a body man friend who still owns the dedicated bench for these cars from the 80's. We just need to get the time to work together on it.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts