Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our plane never goes anywhere without a customized tool kit designed around the common fasteners, plus a container of safety wire, cotter pins, spare machine screws/interior screws/washers/lockwashers, duct tape, alligator clips, etc.

Am contemplating a similar kit for the new-to-us RR, figured veterans on this forum would have a list of items that can get you back on the road like perhaps distributor points? Small screwdrivers for the carbs maybe? Hose clamps?

All suggestions gratefully accepted,

IR

·
Registered
446 Posts
Fire extinguisher should be at the top of the list.
Large enough to put out an engine fire and some place where you can at it quickly.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
It should come with a tool kit which includes a few spanners and a wheel brace/plug spanner, 2 screwdrivers, pliers, tyre pressure gauge and a jack. There should also be a set of replacement bulbs. I also carry a selection of spare fuses and a roll of insulating tape. Most nuts & bolts are imperial UNF thread so spanners are A/F. A torch and tyre pump are other handy accessories to have in the trunk. A hidden spare key and a couple of spare calliper bleed screws might come in handy too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is all super helpful. Are starter solenoids or relays a weak point? Trying to think of small spares that could allow a shop somewhere to get you back on the road in a no-start situation...

IR

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
A spare starter relay is a good idea. I think the starter relay and the wiper relay are interchangeable but I'm not certain, I may have read that somewhere. Rolls Royces never break down, they simply "fail to proceed".

·
Registered
1986 RR Silver Spur, 6.8 Liter, custom 700R4 and more to come
21 Posts
A spare starter relay is a good idea. I think the starter relay and the wiper relay are interchangeable but I'm not certain, I may have read that somewhere. Rolls Royces never break down, they simply "fail to proceed".
When the headlights stopped working one evening, changing over a similar Bosch 30Amp relay from the wipers was successful...I carry a spare now

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Balast resistance, fuel pump relay, light with batteries, gloves (rubber and leather for garden for heavy dirty thigs such as tires), I always have a set of wood wedge to put on tires if need to lift car, a safety triangle to put on the road and some heavy, quality cables to start the car, a heavy key like an X to remove wheel bolts, a gauge to check for contact gap ( you may have one in your tool box, but not necessarly)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Wow Jean!! Any more and you'll need to fit a trailer hitch!! 😁

Cheers
Jon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts