Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Bentley Brooklands 1993 has had a very stationary life since its shock blew out with the previous owner in 1999 with 17k miles on it.

Since 17k now 17850, the rr shock, both rear spheres, both front spheres(accumulators), multiple lines and both pump seals have been replaced. I've also done a fuel distributor refresh and tune up.

Since day one till now. No matter what I do the car still bleeds out its hydraulic dump tubes behind the lf wheel. I've tried bleeding and rebleeding according to bentley order. And since i've redone the pumps its actually worse than ever.

I've come to a conclusion that somewhere pressure is not returning properly and is rising, pushing the fluid out of the resevoir.

Does anyone have any insight? I do not have the proper pressure gauges to check, but i'll purchase if necessary.

Thanks to all in advance....

Garth

· Registered
4,629 Posts
I saw the original post but am not sure exactly how to respond, as I have no idea what you're referring to by the "hydraulic dump tubes". I also have questions as to what the blow out you make reference to actually entailed. Gas spheres on the rear shocks are known to go bad, but I've never heard of anything described as a blow out before.

If you're not determined to make a repair attempt on this yourself (and if you're unfamiliar with the hydraulic system it might be wiser not to do so) you may want to consult John Palma at Palma Classic Cars in Audubon, NJ, who is well known and well respected as one of the modern car gurus in the United States.

The pressure gauges for testing the hydraulic system are available (or were, at least) from Hyphen Repairs in Ontario, but you need to know a great deal about the system before the data you gather using the pressure gauge is meaningful. You also must be certain that you never use a gauge on a mineral oil based system that has been used on an RR363 system and vice versa.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dump tube

Thanks for the response.

Behind the LF wheel in the wheel well under the car is 2 tubes that come from the resevoir to open air. When I've stopped the car my mineral oil spits out of these tube. Sometimes alot, sometimes just a few drips. My understanding is if any of the valves aren't returning properly pressure will rise and relieve itself by spitting out of these dump tubes.

This is my 3rd Bentley and I have been performing my own repairs for 12 years now. I'm also a cerified tech for porsche, nissan, infinity and BMW. I wasn't aware of any forums for these cars until early this year. I hope I can help others with their questions as I need help now.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blow out

The blow out I was referring to was the shock itself. Which I replaced both speres when I made the repair.

Thanks for the tip on the gauges and Palma Classic Cars. I may need some help in the future and now I know where to turn.

· Registered
4,629 Posts
Re: dump tube

wruggie said:
Thanks for the response.

Behind the LF wheel in the wheel well under the car is 2 tubes that come from the resevoir to open air. When I've stopped the car my mineral oil spits out of these tube. Sometimes alot, sometimes just a few drips. My understanding is if any of the valves aren't returning properly pressure will rise and relieve itself by spitting out of these dump tubes.
These overflow tubes must have been a feature added sometime during the production of the SZ Series (Spirit/Spur/Eight & Derivatives) cars.

Actually, what sounds like is happening in your case is that the accumulator control valves are not closing off properly when the car is turned off and are allowing the pressure in the accumulators to dissipate. This means that the hydraulic mineral oil will be pushed back out of the accumulator and end up back in the reservoir.

Even if this happens, the system should never be so full of mineral oil that consistent overflow should occur.

If you're getting your brake pressure lights coming on fairly consistently or constantly after the car has been turned off for a period of time this is almost certainly your problem.

· Registered
229 Posts
Too much hydraulic pressure

Sounds to me as though you have to much fluid in the reservoirs. when the car is left some fluid returns to the reservoir from the height control, if the level is to high then the fliud will syphon out of these tubes.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pressure

I should also mention that sometimes even sitting at a traffic light or with the car idling it will spit out as well?

Maybe I do just have to much fluid in the resevoir.

· Registered
4,629 Posts
Given that last bit of information I'm very much inclined to agree with rollsmech.

If you are not having any other symptoms of hydraulic system problems I'd just wait a while and see if this stops. It may take quite a while since your reservoirs must be *really* overfull and if you're sitting at the right angle more might come out.

The next time the system is purged make sure that it's not filled above the maximum.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pressure

Ok. I'm going to drive the car until the fluid stops spitting onto my driveway. Once that has happened I will investigate my levels and get back with you guys. I will be relieved if this isn't actually a problem. Everyone has been very kind in helping me. It's nice to have a place to go with questions when you have no place to go.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Solved

Just wanted to update. Rebled car twice and made sure not to overfill the tanks and all is well. :D

Don't ever underestimate the proper procedures. Thanks for all the help guys.

Now onto my newest issues. p.s. leak. No problem just a hose. Passenger seat doesn't work anymore. I'm going to have to figure out this center console. :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.