Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
considerable experience on many different makes of cars.

I ahve built and helped build american drag cars, carbed and fuel injected. I ahve built 5 V8 engines from mild to wild.

I heavily modified my 1997 Audi A4 1.8T quattro, from the turbo, to drivetrain parts, to suspension and brakes. built my audi coupe quattro, installed a supercharger on a 2.8 A4.

Replaced clutches, cylinder heads, tuned stand alone EFI system.

I have acces to a lift, lathe, bridgeport, band saws, drill presses, tire machine, tire balancer, and alot of speciality tools.

my two best friends are fabricators by trade one with an engineering degree.

so I ask this, would I be crazy to try and find a Turbo R and expect to do most if not all the work myself?

I do not have unlimited cash, but I am quite ambitious, and skilled/patient, and I have overcome every obstacle an auto has ever thrown at me.

Where can I get a service manual? Is there even one? I suppose I should contact flying Spares?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Justin!

Yes, you can work on these cars yourself. I would suggest that you stop by: www.rrtechnical.info./. You'll find the manuals there in Adobe format.

I'm presently looking at building a MegaSquirt conversion for a Spur. If the results are as good as have been realized on a Mercedes 4.5 Litre, we could be on to something.

Good luck in your pursuits.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Be carefull of some of these manuals. I paid $40 for one for my 99 Seraph. Seems every issue raised went back to "use the computer diagnosis" for repair procedure. Totally worthless to me. I believe you will have no trouble maintaining this car yourself. Lots of electronics to drive you batty..

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
I can state, without any risk of contradiction, that the manuals posted at rrtechnical.info (and free to download for anyone) are the real manuals from Crewe.

The folks at the Rolls-Royce Owners' Club of Australia have gone to incredible lengths to get the necessary permissions to post these in what I dub the "semi-public" domain and have been incredibly thorough in their efforts at scanning them. Many are searchable on keywords, though some are not.

As an aside, given that a 1999 Seraph was produced well into the OBD-II era it is not a surprise that one of the first things that would be a part of diagnosis of problems is getting the code readings with an OBD-II reader. That's only the starting point, and those codes require interpretation, but you can't do much without having them as a starting point. It's no different on my 1999 Jaguar or 2001 GMC Truck. There are many codes that are triggered and stored that do not cause the "Check Engine" light to illuminate.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Justin --

I have a similar background to yours, although not quite as extensive. I do all my own work on a '79 Bentley T2, which is I believe just one generation removed from the R. There are likely a bit more electronics in the R, but it should still be doable.

I'll be easy-outing or drilling out a broken-off grease nipple from the front of the prop shaft this morning....

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts