Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
My only experience would be with Porsche where I try to stay with the OEM makes such as Whaller (Elring) or Behr (Mahle Hella) typically as many of the aftermarket ones available for Porsche models are usually trash in one way or another, so I will research which these two manufacturers still make in any of the applications/models listed. Being mostly BMW models, I am quite hopeful that one of those two manufacturers might list them.. I will buy both if available and take down some dimensions for the hive mind in here as well as comparing them with the dimensions in the couple of articles referenced in here.

Hopefully being for BMW models, and those two manufacturers being international, we should be able to find a good substitute and hopefully, the authors of the articles could update them with the alternatives if they are satisfied with the specifications.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello,

If you read the PDF document mentioned earlier it states:

"A functional equivalent to the Crewe UE36600 thermostat is the Stant #13558 (made by Behr-Thomson in Germany). The cost of the Stant #13558 is about $20 USD. BMW claims that the Behr-Thomson thermostats (including the Stant) have a life in excess of 60,000 miles. "

Stant is reboxing the Behr thermostat. I did the homework for you,
Stant 13558 is exactly the same as Behr TX 17 80D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks JR2, I have ordered one with the part number you posted, that was really helpful.

I had seem some mention of Behr Thompson in the PDF, but was not expecting them to be available, because if the Stant one is a Berh Thompson one in another box, and Stant and Napa are suddenly unavailable, I thought it may be that Behr had stopped production, which I guess could still be the case.
Interestingly the one I ordered from Amazon has the Behr part number, and lists it as a "Behr Thermot Tronik TH 17 80D" but in the photo it has a "Clevite" Logo, and I seem to remember some people here mentioning they had used "Clevite" thermostats, so I guess another brand using the Behr part in their own boxes maybe.

Out of interest, is your car a later model with coolant gauge? I notice a sender with a AMP style mini timer connector in your thermostat lower housing. And if so, is that old thermostat the original Rolls Royce one for the later cars without the lead pellets?

Thanks again JR2,

Jon

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just in case anyone is interested, I managed to dig up a technical drawing of the Behr part number that JR2 has referenced, so thought I would include it in this thread.

Edit - I just noticed this has the Mahle logo as a watermark... Quite incestuous the motor industry.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I thought it may be that Behr had stopped production,
It appears to be the case (COVID related?) and what is floating around is new old stock.

I would purchase an extra unit now while they are still inexpensive.

Out of interest, is your car a later model with coolant gauge?
Yes it is
And if so, is that old thermostat the original Rolls Royce one for the later cars without the lead pellets?
In my spare parts engine as pictured, Yes, UK Waxstat brand.
In my operating car I don't know. Currently, my car is running too cold.
I tested the temperatures with my IR temp gun and it is too cold for my liking. It never reaches 88C.
My in-dash temp gauge reflects the same.

I suspect that the previous owner replaced the thermostat with a pellet unit or a very cold Behr.
Sadly the repair "professional" used prior to my ownership was not detail-oriented and I had to clean up after them.
but in the photo it has a "Clevite" Logo
Clevite = Mahle Group NA see: MAHLE Aftermarket North America | Our brands

Bosch, ZF, and Mahle have been busy for the last 15 years purchasing other companies.

I was testing the BMW application Vernet thermostat in boiling water. I'm interested in the extended stroke length of the bypass disc and the total open water door area. Visually the disc should seal the bypass port better than the OEM thermostat. It was late, and I did not have time for the thermostat to cool down.

I have a hard time paying the ransom that they demand for a pellet less thermostat in this form factor. It's old tech.

If I owned a car without a temperature gauge, I would not have any problems paying for the pellet unit due to the low volume/niche application.

·
Registered
42 Posts
And a good FYI:

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
@JR2: The transfer of the jiggle pin is discussed (with pictures) in the article I referenced earlier. It's definitely not absolutely necessary, though, and in the future though I would probably drill the tiny hole to make filling the system easier, the amount of coolant that can get through that sans jiggle pin is so insignificant as to be virtually none.

@sarbirus wrote, in part, "Quite incestuous the motor industry." And far more so now than it was in the past. I am now willing to say that most service items related to automobiles are made by a couple of manufacturers around the world, regardless of the marque, and those manufacturers also supply the aftermarket where what's on the box and/or what may be stamped on the item is the only thing that changes.

It's not all that much different than the situation regarding gasoline here in the USA, anyhow. There are a very limited number of refineries, all of which are owned by the big multinational energy companies, and they refine each and every drop of gasoline that is sold in the USA. So-called "off brands" of gasoline are nothing more than resellers of the same commodity product that's marketed under other brand names that are better known (you just don't know who the refiner is, and/or whether they buy from one or several and blend). And if you don't believe me, talk to anyone who works in the oil and gas industry. (And the same is true for cellular phone service, e.g., Virgin Mobile runs on what had been the Sprint network [now owned by T-Mobile], and the list goes on and on for resellers of airtime from Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T.)

We have been "not witnessing" (because it's kept as hush-hush as is legally possible) the re-formation of what are, effectively, monopolies and cartels. This is a bigger problem in some industries than others.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well I managed to order the "Clevite" Thermostat from a UK supplier that was linked to, and what I received was a Mahle Europe (blue and white box) with TX 17 80D as the part number, also their reference number 70807776. Inside the box is a thermostat stamped with Behr-Thomson and a sealing ring, looking exactly like the ones photographed in this thread (Thanks chaps)

Interestingly the box looks crisp and new, but the thermostat inside has the yellow plating flaking off with oxide under it, almost like it has been sat in a store room for a decade or three.. But other parts of the body, silver colour plated, looks like new... So not sure if BT Stopped making them a long time ago, with massive stocks snapped up by Mahle, Stant, Napa, or what the deal is, because the thermostat looks a good decade or three older than the box... Looks like what I am used to seeing in new-old-stock Porsche parts, where usually through the box looks as old as the parts inside it.

Looks to be perfectly functional though... I think I might need to buy another couple for the future, if there is a chance they have not been made for a couple of decades.

Now onto fitting the new waterpump, thermostat and retro fitting the oil pressure and coolant temp gauge in place of the clock, playing with the british-tool-company carb setup tools, and I might, just might, be in for some journeys in the beast with a few less paranoid concerns about what is really going on inside the engine.

I might even see if I can find a period looking AFR gauge to replace the amps gauge in the dashboard, so I can get a feel for the air fuel ratios with a wideband sensor, but must resist temptation..

Many thanks to you all and your patience with my daft questions on this and many topics.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
The article I posted earlier pretty much covers the territory that there are only a very few actual makers of automotive thermostats across the globe. They then all get stamped/painted/boxed for the entities that market them as their own.

Also, when correctly made, they should have a virtually perpetual service life. I have only ever had to replace a thermostat in both my SY series car, and one Chrysler Sebring I owned that "ate" a thermostat about once every two years (but millions of others of its compatriots did not).

I just recently sold a 1989 Cadillac DeVille to a friend that is still running on what I presume was the factory thermostat and my 1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon, 2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD, and 2004 Toyota (I presume, here, bought used) are all running on theirs. A wax-pellet thermostat is not a frequent service item - at all.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts