Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have great trouble accepting the look of the current RR phantom. To me it is close to ugly. The front view is very disturbing with the strange headlights and the squashed Rolls Royce Grill. An English buyer obviously felt the same way. He had P & A Woods do a conversion on the front. They added the Bentley Continental headlights and re-made the front wings. Now, to me, it looks like a Rolls Royce. I have posted a pic. in the Photo Gallery

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Stirling,
I am starting to think that you and I are the only ones interested in Rolls and Bentley. I post, you comment.! No one else seems to give a stuff. Perhaps we could forget this site, everyone else seems to have done so, and just sent each other information and pics on emails?
The beautiful beasts do fascinate me. I have had a 52 R Type Bentley, a '35 Bentley three and half litre Gurney Nutting drop head coupe, a '65 RR Flying Spur (iridescent peacock blue and the Spirit of Ecstasy was gold plated. Total vulgarity and embarrassing. I put it together then flogged it) My final love was a 58 Bentley S1. Sand on Sable, LWB without division, coach built by James Young, sun roof, full cocktail cabinet and just a hunk of heaven. Our affair endured for nearly twenty years. I bought her in London when I was living in Belgium, then took her to New York for a couple of years, then back to Australia. She was good for 7 mpg around town and about the same at a steady 100mph where she was happy to cruise all day. " yesterday when I was young".
I sold her to a Pom who took her back to the UK. I hope she is happy.
I think the Bentley S series and the RR Silver Clouds were the last of the real ones. From 1966 on I think they just lost the plot and they started to look like all sorts of "ordinary" cars. Pity.
But I do think I could break out for the new Bentley Brooklands Coupe. Mate that is style. No doubt it will be the collectors item of the future.
I hope there is a bit more activity on the site in the future.
Cheers,
Patick D

·
Registered
16 Posts
zacara said:
I have great trouble accepting the look of the current RR phantom. To me it is close to ugly. The front view is very disturbing with the strange headlights and the squashed Rolls Royce Grill. An English buyer obviously felt the same way. He had P & A Woods do a conversion on the front. They added the Bentley Continental headlights and re-made the front wings. Now, to me, it looks like a Rolls Royce. I have posted a pic. in the Photo Gallery
Im partially agree :!:
The new Phantom propose a mix of round and square headlights in a sort of Silver Cloud III re-visitation.
The most deprecable problem is the poor materials quality used to build that headlights... after few months of intensive use, the inner chrome- finish tend to fade like in a 1989 BMW 320i......
Same poor care is reserved to the base of the windshield where are located wiper arms, a mere and poor black plastic :!:
Never seen a so sad presentation :(
an other detail: car's glasses (windows and windshield) are now made by Sekurit, and not by the legendary Brand TRIPLEX. that's a true "knife in the stomach"....

·
Registered
58 Posts
pictures of zacara

Zacara, I do read all new comments on the board except the "streamed" news. Should I be able to add content to the board, I do. That's what I did, do and will do.

If everybody waits for the others to show interest in the board we remain where we are now. But I'm still positive...

Something else, zacara, did you take the Hyperion photo yourself? If not, can you supply for the image source? Thank you.

Greets from Munich, Germany

JimKnopf

·
Registered
2 Posts
The facelift is a step in the right direction. I have never been a fan of the Phantom. I am not so sure about the headlights, perhaps someone could photoshop some alternatives for member comments. The grill is perfect, it is a shame that it required a private owner to make the Phantom look like a proper Rolls Royce.

Randal

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Hi Zacara
Well all I can say is if you want to find a another forum that is your choice
The German bugged up RR and know your trying to do the same here
Yes I agree that this forum is slow but don’t forget that there isn’t that many owners out there if you want fast response then go to the Holden or GM Forum they have plenty going on you can chat about how to go bust
I do think that the RR looks better but He mite as well have got a Bentley if he wanted it to look like one I stayed with an older car because I didn’t like the shape of the new one and not because off cost I could have put one throw my workshop and had it changed to what ever but that doesn’t work you end up with a has-been

Michael

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm a new member just seeing this post, but still, I find it reassuring that you guys see it just like I do. I also love the classic, traditional styled Rolls-Royce body. Years back when I saw the concept drawings for the newer Rolls-Royce, I was in shock. "Had they forgotten what type of automobile had built and defined their empire?". Functionally, its still one of the finest cars, but as far as style, it doesn't come close to the originals. Thats just my opinion anyway. Take it for what its worth!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts