Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2019 RR Cullinan. In fair weather it is the quietest vehicle I have ever owned. BUT in the snow it is absolutely useless!
It has no traction, no hill climbing capability and if you try to dig it out of the snow and it slides backwards a few feet, it will lock you out of the truck as it slides hundreds of feet away from you. Picture that scene with me running after my Cullinan as it tries to return to England, Germany or wherever.
I complained to RR and its response was we have no all season tires for 22 inch wheels. "You should buy new 21 inch wheels and snow tires for $18,000 and ride yourself into into the snowflakes to your heart's content." I've owned RR and Bentley since 1984 so I am toughened by abuse but I've had about enough from BMW that has sold me a car with 22's and doesn't have an all weather tire for them.
So what did I do? For $27,000 I leased an Audi SQ5 and now all we do is make snowmen.
The moral of this story is if you buy a Cullinan, make sure you have enough to buy an Audi also or you will be stuck on your driveway with a vehicle that costs as much as a house.
Arthur Wolk

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's terrible!
Dear Wraithman,
I am new to this site and thank you for your response. I also own a 2015 Wraith. Stunning fabulous car BUT periodically as in much of the time, there is a secondary rattle on the right front inside.
The dealer has taken apart the dash by removing the glove box and we have looked at everything but no joy. I'm afraid to take apart the passenger door.
I remember in the days before BMW, the guys at Crewe would punish us privileged by putting in annoying presents where we couldn't find them. A bolt in the rocker panel, welding slag in the dash support and a pop bottle in the door to name a few.
I would have figured since this car wasn't manufactured in Crewe that wouldn't still be the problem but I hate to sell it for that as it is otherwise a fabulous car.
Someone suggested just make the radio louder...hmmm!
Any ideas?
Thank you,
Arthur

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I can can tell you when RR was a RR, the cars underwent dozens of checks including a road test, paint, wind noise etc at the factory before delivery. The receiving dealer also does a receiving report and any issues are taken care of, so the idea of a coke bottle or similar would be unlikely.
Between the actual factory build sheets and US warranty period, several dozen sheets of reports are generated and everything is documented.
Its a shame when you spend so much money and the product does not meet your expectations.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I have no doubt in my mind that RR (or BMW) had zero intentions of making this car suitable for off-road use. They produced an SUV because SUV's are now the trend, as Porsche did more than a decade ago, knowing that a bunch of purists will trash it and also knowing that they will probably build more of them in 2-3 years than all cars built between 1906-1999.

If you want a capable off road vehicle, look for a car equipped with marshmallow tires and not elastic bands. This way you can let some of the air out to get a bit more traction without ruining the wheels. Your car is perfect for what it is and what it was intended for. Enjoy it!

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no doubt in my mind that RR (or BMW) had zero intentions of making this car suitable for off-road use. They produced an SUV because SUV's are now the trend, as Porsche did more than a decade ago, knowing that a bunch of purists will trash it and also knowing that they will probably build more of them in 2-3 years than all cars built between 1906-1999.

If you want a capable off road vehicle, look for a car equipped with marshmallow tires and not elastic bands. This way you can let some of the air out to get a bit more traction without ruining the wheels. Your car is perfect for what it is and what it was intended for. Enjoy it!
My driveway is not "off road" nor are city streets. Take a look at Roll's advertisements and You Tube videos with the media. It is touted as great in the snow and off road.
I don't drive off road but half the world has a snowfall now and then. I am not a purist and BTW the Cayenne is great in the snow with all season tires like the RR should have had.
My point is simple, don't sell me a car with 22 inch wheels without first making sure that there is a tire choice available that are all season. There isn't.
Thanks for your comments. Most Cullinan owners in the Northeast of the U.S. agree with me I believe especially right now.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Take a look at Roll's advertisements and You Tube videos with the media. It is touted as great in the snow and off road.
Yes, that's called marketing and 22" or 21" wheels for that matter would not be much use to you on a slippery road. Salt and grit might.

Most Cullinan owners in the Northeast of the U.S. agree with me I believe especially right now.
I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm merely stating what should be obvious. I didn't sell you the car, but I hope that you come to a satisfactory conclusion.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Not that I'm in the market for one (I've a 1968 Series IIa Land Rover for snow duty), but anyone know how the Bentayga does in the snow?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Probably not as good as your Land Rover. I have designs of buying one of those on my next visit to the UK and brining it back. If i can find one that's not that rusty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts