Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Good to be back on the forum. It might sound stupid but I would like to remove the telephone set/telephone gear which is in the armrest of Bentley Turbo RL . I know it adds a plus to the decorum; but since I do not use it I believe that it is more reasonable to tot take it of and may be give it to someone who could make a better use. If anyone has any advice on how to remove it I would be very grateful to him or her.

cordialy,
Fank-TR

·
Registered
54 Posts
Section S13 of the workshop manual has instructions for removing the front armrest:

Also mentioned here:

If you manage to get it out I may be interested in having it off you!

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
The electronics for the phone are mounted in the trunk. handset in the armrest.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes if you remove the back panel in the trunk (there are two buttons and then two twisty things) then in the centre you'll find an amp mounted on the back and then there should be some motorola kit on the left. See pic

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine is still in the front console, but the one from the rear console is missing. Would be interested in finding one for the rear console and activating them both again.
Pulled The Alpine 6 Disc CD changer this afternoon from the front console and will be sending it out to see if it can be fixed and made to work more reliably.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Most likely not compatible with the "system technology" as it stands today.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
There are almost no old mobile phones that are compatible with today's network technology. There's almost certain to be someone out there who will do their "electronic wizardry" to replace the internals of ancient mobile phones, but I shudder to think of what the expense would be (and to know that they're going to meet the same fate again at some point in the future).

My mother's cellular home phone base unit was, at most, 5 years old and I just had to replace it with a new one so that it could remain connected to the current network technology. I came in about 30 days ahead of the drop dead date and getting that thing in to her memory care unit during Covid lockdown added to the fun.

·
Registered
873 Posts
You're in Europe, If it's a 1995 or newer car, just put a pre paid sim chip in it and rock the thing!
900MHZ GSM phones should still be usable.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You're in Europe, If it's a 1995 or newer car, just put a pre paid sim chip in it and rock the thing!
900MHZ GSM phones should still be usable.
It is not that simple. Modern SIM cards have not only different sizes, but are logically incompatible. About ten years ago I run a Motorola phone from '90 that was build-in in one of my Mercedes car. I tried about five cards from three operators before I found a card compatible with this phone set.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have similar. It works pretty well. Anyway I build into it standard phone set RJ11 socket to use "professional" cables, as cable attached to this handset and its mini-jack connector was a joke ;) Somewhere in internet you can find descriptions how to connect to mobile phones "true" handsets from standard wired phones. I believe that Panasonic handset could be a perfect solution ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts