1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Silver Spur
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Thanks for the great advice..

I have a 1981 Silver Spur. Recently it has been acting a little funky.
  1. Sometimes it takes forever to start. Almost to the point that I'm afraid the battery is going to give out. Acts like it isn't getting any fuel. I can hear the fuel pump come on when I turn the key. My thought is to run a pressure test? fuel filter? pump giving out?
  2. When it starts sometimes runs super rough for about 30-90 seconds. I suspect the same fuel delivery issue. During this period if I hit the gas it squeals the heck out of a belt...not sure which one.
Any thoughts from anyone?

Thanks

-zd

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hey All,

1. Sometimes it takes forever to start. Almost to the point that I'm afraid the battery is going to give out. Acts like it isn't getting any fuel. I can hear the fuel pump come on when I turn the key. My thought is to run a pressure test? fuel filter? pump giving out?
  2. When it starts sometimes runs super rough for about 30-90 seconds. I suspect the same fuel delivery issue. During this period if I hit the gas it squeals the heck out of a belt...not sure which one.

Thanks

-zd
IMHO:
First, check fuel pressure accumulator.
Second, you can always check for fuel pressure or air in fuel lines by slightly loosening any fuel line at fuel pressure regulator or fuel distributor. Look at some "ke-jetronic fuel distributor" videos at youtube.
Third, there could be internal bleeding of fuel at fuel distributor or external, just at one of injectors that do not close.

Anyway... Years ago I had the same symptoms like you with old Mercedes (pure K-Jetronic). It appeared... that they were caused by worn out spark distributor ;)

·
Registered
1999 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur, Mulsanne Green
75 Posts
Hey All,

Thanks

-zd
Get some good gas that doesn’t have ethanol in it. Could make a huge difference. Also check your fuel filter(s).

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Your issue is with the cold start injector. If you can't start when warm, replace the fuel accumulator and I would also suspect the Opus ignition and or the coil.
You don't have a fuel problem, although all filters should be replaced on a regular basis.

·
Registered
1981 Silver Spur
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone...
Going to check this out and report back.

-zd

·
Registered
219 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts