Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

While working on my car today I discovered that the feed line and the bleeder line from the left side height control rams are reversed in terms of the input ports they're going in to. At first I was horrified, but then I realized two things:

1. It's been like this for quite a while.

2. The only real input/output for fluid in the ram is the feed line.
The bleed line is used only to bleed the rams and is otherwise
a "dead end."

The only question is whether there is any real difference in the actual ports themselves that are not obvious in the documents I've read. Can anyone confirm that the ports are the same or if there is something that differentiates one from the other beyond the stamp "Feed" in the metal for one and no marking for the other?

Also, has anyone had hellish difficulty getting a ram to come off of the top of the rear shock absorber holding tube? I've had no luck getting the "ram piston slots" to budge and have tried hammer & chisel and air hammer to no avail.

·
Registered
78 Posts
height control ram

I cannot be certain about the height control ram but I know there is valves in there. The pressure is controlled by the height control valve and then fed to the ram but I would have thought that the feed needs to be in the correct input.

As for removing the rams you need to undo the 3 bolts that hold it to the body and then lift the outer casing of the ram up. This will reveal the castleated ring of the bottom of the ram piston. There is a special tool from Rolls to undo this put you can usually use a chisel or an air chisel. (try not to damage it badly. Make sure it is depressurised and then once untightened it should spin off quite easily.

Matt.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts