Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Just seeking some feedback. I've been lucky enough to enjoy both a 1996 Silver Spirit and a 1968 Silver Shadow for over a year now, but a number of considerations (principally lack of adequate storage for both) means I have to sell one of the two. Problem is, I can't make up in my mind which one. The Spirit is very practical (it starts on demand and all the electrics do exactly what you ask them to do) and is reliable for motorway journeys, but I find a bit "brutish" and sturdy, and I don't seem to want to hop in it for short drives around town (London). The Shadow is wonderfully wafty, has a quaint interior and seems easier to move around town, but on longer journeys and at speed, a lot of things creak, the wipers are hopeless, the heating is antiquated, and the whirring engine noise gets to me after an hour or so of driving. And there's always the risk of a part failing suddenly.
To add difficulty to the decision-making process, in today's economic climate, neither will achieve a great value (neither are perfect), so I'm trying to figure which one would cause me the least loss.
Apologies for the long post, I really don't want to regret selling the wrong car.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
899 Posts
If you can figure out a way to keep them both, then keep them both. If you can't, then figure out which one sets of sparks in your soul.

·
Registered
86 Posts
As an SZ owner, I would say keep the SZ.
In the current economy, and if one of them MUST go, advertise both of them and sell the first one to go.
My two cents....

·
Registered
91 Posts
I own a Cloud, Shadow, Shadow II, Silver Wraith II, Camargue, Corniche and a Spur, plus two early Post War Bentleys, I don't know how I would get along without any of them. They all bring me there own charm and joy..

·
Registered
418 Posts
In the UK Shadow's are catching on again and Spurs are just not hitting the demand.Sell the Shadow and enjoy a technically better car. Sadly I'm a hoarder!!

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
This really does come down to which would you be less unhappy to lose.

For me, that would be the Spur in a heartbeat, but for you it may be precisely the opposite. But given my experience in recent years here in the USA with trying to sell one of my cars, I think the advice about putting both up for sale and letting go of whichever one sells first is good advice.

It seems to me that, as a general rule, these cars are far easier to buy than they are to sell.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts