Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very strong fuel odor when key is turned to run/start. discovered today that strong odor is present just when key is engaged and engine not running.
Have not been able to get under car to see anything visible yet.
Am i correct in assuming that fuel pumps are engaged with key on position?
Hello, GUYSLP, Nice to find you here

·
Registered
27 Posts
Depending on what year but generally "yes". Key on, fuel pump will run. Perhaps you have a split hose near the pump which is loacted under the the right rear passenger seat floor (more or less). Check for obvious leaks first.

Rodd Sala - Park-Ward Motors

http://park-ward-motors.com/

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, probably should have mentioned the car.
72 Shadow lwb LRA13020.
Thanks Rodd

·
Registered
66 Posts
Check before using it for signs of fuel, especially around the engine.

We've had two cars in with under bonnet fires this year. Not Good! :(

·
Registered
19 Posts
Very strong fuel odor when key is turned to run/start. discovered today that strong odor is present just when key is engaged and engine not running.
Have not been able to get under car to see anything visible yet.
Am i correct in assuming that fuel pumps are engaged with key on position?
Hello, GUYSLP, Nice to find you here
I would suspect holes in the floats on SU carbureted cars of that age. When the float gets stuck extra fuel is dumped to the ground. Check underneath for signs of wet fuel. If you find it it is an easy fix. Just rebuild your carbs. A straight forward task. Take your time and first do no harm. Good motoring. Yours in service. rollsroycerescue.

·
Registered
637 Posts
My '79 T2 leaked fuel where the filter housings fit into the SU carbs. Dried out o-rings. I know the SY-I had different filters at the carbs, so this may or may not be relevant. But an area worth checking....

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
One area of odor/fumes ingress is the coupling between the blower fan housing and heater box on the firewall. They often dry out and many times the effort to get them on right takes patience. If there is a gap, it will let stinky into the cabin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts