Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, nice day here so thought I'd get on with a few things on the exterior of the vehicle.. Want to remove and clean the starter motor but cannot find the proceedure in the IETIS publication thingy... looks like a bit of a cow to get to... Any advice/hints? Chers all :)

Richard

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi Richard, when I had the starter of all the visible bolts were removed but it would no budge (1989 mulsanne). there is a bolt in the middle of the motor pointing to the back of the car. To get at this one you need a thin spanner and pull the motor as you undo the bold. It may help you. Gary

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Richard,

Given the sequence number quoted at the bottom of your posts I suspect your car is late enough to have the gear reduction starter, so dropping the exhaust may not be necessary, but then again it may.

As Gary has already noted there is one bolt with its head that faces the bulkhead/firewall that has to come out. I doubt the procedure is much different than on the SY cars, so take a look at the instructions for those from the Aussie forums. I've removed the Lucas starter from SRH33576 and replaced it with the newer gear-reduction type and the "bolt configuration" is precisely the same.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah thanks Chaps for your replies, I did wonder if I would have to drop the exhaust to get at it. Anyway, as it turned out, the weather got a little choppy so having crawled under and had a quick look, I decided to put that particular part of "Raise the Titanic" on the back-burner for now and concentrate some more on the interior for this weekend- I shall certainly have a look at the SY procedure as you suggest Brian, I often think a few minutes spent looking at such things can save hours of struggle with such things. As always, folks, your help is much appreciated :)

Richard

·
Registered
47 Posts
Having twice removed the starter from SCAZN00A9JCH23812 I can say, remove the exhaust. You don't have to but it's simple and makes the job so much easier. As for that B...... at the back I used 3/8 socket and wobble extensions with a uni joint at the top. The trans dipstick tube is in the way but it is possible. Both times I was on my back, next time I do one it will be on the 2 post hoist. Check the rear manifold bolts while you are there as they are often loose.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh man, I'm struggling with this... The Fonz has left the building now... The IETIS is about as much use a handbrake on a canoe withregard to this... I seem to have cap head screws here, One screwed in from the front which I have got out, another ( I think- if its the one Im going for ) is screwed in from the back.. trans filler tube is totally in the way and am unable to get any access to its retaining screw at the top of the engine. 5/16 ball end hex wont go in, 7mm too small... Having a lot of coffee.....

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
........and.... it's off. Somewhat different to other postings I've seen on starter motor removal on this 1992 model. A total cow, really, but ( and I will double check tomorrow) no rear-ward bolts to fight with. Will have to drop the exhaust off to get it clear of the car, so looking forward to fighting with the heavily corroded pipe-to-manifold bolts (1/4" snap-for-fun jobbies). All in all, a frustrating job to do.. Righto, I've promised a lady fish and chips this evening, so Im off to do that :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, so just to tidy this one up, My 1992 is fitted with a two-bolt fixing, those bolts having an 8mm A/F Allen hex in the top fitted from the front end, so no need to try and mess with any other bolts.. The inboard bolt can be difficult to locate, especially if you are flolloping about on the floor trying to find it.. I have dreams of one day owning a four-post hoist thingy, Im starting to feel a little old for break-dancing underneath cars all weekend.. Anyway, have attached a photo of the hidden bolt located with a rathet, extension, 8mm hex socket etc in the hope it may help some soul in the future.

I had to remove the exhaust downpipe on mine- although very close, just couldn't quite tease it past the combination of bodywork, exhaust and steering shaft.

As I think I mentioned in another thread, the starter motor was stripped, and found not to be in a very happy place, so another secondhand unit purchased, stripped, cleaned and re-assembled. What a difference it's made, I hadnt realised how slowly its predecessor had been until now, and it certainly seems to drawing much less current than the old unit. Happy days :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1993 Bentley turbo R
8 Posts
Hi guys, I have a 93 Turbo R and I removed the exhaust link pipe, the steering column connection to the Rack. I also released all mountings on the cat and pushed that forward as far as it would go. I only had 2 bolts both of which were Allen key sockets, top one is very hard to see, I used a small camera to locate it, I didnt have a bolt from the bell housing side. I then teased the starter out with a lever to push the cat out of the way, the whole job is nasty but it worked.
Hope that helps
Paul

1 - 9 of 9 Posts