Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Do you know where abouts in the manual removal of the starter motor is? Thanks Paul
You always have to search the documentation on the word or phrase to see what's what. Searching on starter or starter motor turns up the following on page E12-1:

22. Remove the starter motor. (see Electrical Manuals - TSD 4701 or TSD 4848)

But, there is nothing I can find about removal or installation in either of those documents, either. I also reviewed TSD 4400, and nothing useful, either. There's nothing even in IETIS for the later cars.

If someone has any Crewe produced documentation for removing/installing the SZ starter, I'd like to know where it is.

You may find something useful in a topic on the Australian forum: Replacing Lucas Starter with Modern Gear Reduction Type

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I concur. I searched and checked as well.On the practical side, there is the electrical connections which I see is disconnected, so how many fasteners could there be? Most I have ever seen is 3. Take out whatever is going thru the mounting flange and you will see results.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Unicorn discovered. The Denso 2 eared starter motor (RR part # UE71223). Only the two bolts holding it on (tight, but popped and then backed out easily enough). Not heavy at all. Have placed an order with British Starters for a replacement. They seem to sell two hole ones, so I am sure the "free starter motor" offer has expired.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Rim Automotive design

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I have one in a 1976 that I own. As noted, much lighter in weight over original Lucas, and not as thirsty, electrically.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just to close this out, and give other readers some insight. I have included photos of the reconditioned starter motor as well as the replacement supplied by British Starters. I reinstalled the original one. There was some minor damage to the flywheel teeth.
First photo shows the 2 hole British Starter mounting plate attached with the hole pattern visible (allowing the motor to be orientated as needed). Shows minor damage to the flywheel.
Second photo is the original Nippon Denso starter and the supplied British Starter motor. Notice how the connectors do line up similar to the original which is ideal.
Third photo is the reconditioned Nippon Denso motor. It was reconditioned with Aloha, and that makes all the difference.
Automotive tire Flash photography Helmet Personal protective equipment Font
Fluid Cylinder Gas Machine Liquid
Gas Machine Automotive tire Cylinder Auto part

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
It seems to me that there is an unrealistic expectation that flywheel teeth will remain "almost perfect" over the very long lifetime of most cars. From what I've seen when they've been photographed on older vehicles so far, that's not the case and there's "natural wear" over the years.

Although it's from an SY era car, here's what mine looked like on SRH33576 when I replaced the original Lucas starter with a gear reduction unit from British Starters:

Wood Bicycle part Motor vehicle Rim Auto part

There were a number of exclamations about how I needed to replace this, pronto. I didn't, and the car starts just fine, thanks, years later (but not all that many miles later). I don't expect that will change anytime soon, though SRH33576 may be finding a new home in the foreseeable future.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts