Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1975 Lucas flasher relay wasn't working anymore on the right turns. It was still flashing slowly on the left turns and alarm lights were fine too.

I ordered a new one, but the problem increased to both left and right turn not flashing (only orange lights come on and stay on). The alarm lights are flashing much quicker than with the previous flasher-relay.

Now i am wondering; is there another, a second flasher-relay that i cannot hear? Or is another problem?
Maybe the answer is simple, but i don't know....... :?
Help and ideas appreciated :idea: thanks

:arrow:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hemmo,

The flasher goes on and off based on a resistive element inside it heating up and cooling back down.

If there's extra resistance in your system somewhere (such as a bulb not connected or burned out or just a dodgy contact), then the circuit will draw less current and the resistive element will take longer to heat up (and the lights will flash slower -- or not at all).

If one side is at a different speed than the other, it's probably a bad bulb or connection somewhere.

(It could also be low voltage from the battery. Have you checked to see that you're getting 12V?)

Jeff.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
flasher relay ss1

Thanks Jeff,

yes i opened the flasher relay to clean it was a little rusty inside and then i saw how the system worked

i installed already a new flasher relay. The alarmlights are flashing at full speed now.

But i'll change all the 4 lightbulbs first and hope this will solve the problem more or less. Otherwise will have to pull some new wires :?

Hemmo

:arrow: :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Problem solved!

As wandering through the fusebox (looking for a window-fuse) i suddenly saw a flasher relay on top left. It must have totally past my previous search as it is so obvious to be there. The previous changed flasher relay i found was under the dasboard right side of the fusebox. This is the flasher-relay of the emergency-blinker lights.

WELLLLL, i quickly changed it with the new relay and it is flashing like new now :D. Just a little happy moment to have another annoying problem solved with a little bit of luck; as i'm trying to have this car on the road this springtime it is important that all the flasher lights are working frisky and properly...:roll:

Btw. These relays can be cleaned and ajusted (restored) easily.

:arrow:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts