Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again folks. My shadow is make a hell of a rattling noise when I slow down and then hit the brakes. It’s knocking. When I showed my mechanic he immediately said “ catalytic converter is making the rattling noise” what do you think? It has been getting worse. Here’s a video. What you think?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello again folks. My shadow is make a hell of a rattling noise when I slow down and then hit the brakes. It’s knocking. When I showed my mechanic he immediately said “ catalytic converter is making the rattling noise” what do you think? It has been getting worse. Here’s a video. What you think?

·
Registered
1971 Bentley T
68 Posts
Suspect the anchor rubber assembly at the front of the torque arm on the diff. When it fails the diff rotates forward on deceleration. The prop-shaft hits the chassis and .......!!

It leaves a score mark around the shaft.

But it might not be that.

Alan D.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
If the catalytic converter were bad with chunks of element inside, it would not rattle when braking. I have restored cats before and some will rattle like a toy when removed. You can observe the rear torque member in park with a helper on the gas pedal. The torque member is on the right side of the final drive.

·
Registered
716 Posts
My experience with cats disintegrating is that the engine will no longer rev past 3 or 4K RPM. But your mechanic also might have meant the whole exhaust system is loose and the clanking is from the outside of the cat hitting the body.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts