Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Al,
That machine is wonderful, it actually worked, gave the car a very neutral, fresh smell...unbelievable, I fought with the smell for months maybe years to get it to where I thought it should be using odor absorbers, sprays, fans and who knows what else, this little machine did twice as good in 15 minutes! I think I'm going to go in to the classic car de-stinking business! Thanks again Al.
Jon

·
Registered
741 Posts
Jon and Al,

Whereas I am pleased that the ozone machine has gotten rid of the classic car smell, I am puzzled by this. I really like the smell of leather whenever I am in my car and would certainly not like to lose it. What is this classic car smell that's so objectionable?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Geoff,
Its not the leather smell I objected to, it was this smell of sitting in a garage for years before I got the car, a sort of musty smell, not a rich leather smell, also, with all the work I've done, lacquer, paint repairs, engine work, etc. There was a cologne of a workshop if that makes sense, actually once I neutralized the smell I promptly sprayed the chemical guys leather scent which I spoke about in previous posts now it smells like proper leather minus the musty odor and others.

Cheers!
Jon

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 1970 Silver Shadow MPW coupe has a terrible, strong smell inside consisting of a combination of exhaust fumes, old leather, wood, oil and gas! It is so bad that
the smell remains on my clothes, or any other items I have in the car. The smell is even stronger in the trunk of the car. I have to leave the garage door open for a few minutes to clear out the fumes when I arrive home. It was subtle at first but seems to have gotten stronger since I have been driving it a lot. It runs very well and flies on the freeway. It starts and idles nicely but there is a black, sooty looking residue on the ground from the exhaust pipe. Over the last two days, I had a short lasting but significant headache after a 30 minute drive it to work. I drove my other car today and no headache. I know there wasn't much emissions stuff in 1970 but I can't imagine this car smelled like this when it was new. My GF calls it the "smelly little car " and refuses to ride in it! Could it be running too rich or have an exhaust/gas tank leak? Could I have been inhaling carbon monoxide fumes? I would appreciate the advice.
Exhaust, gas, and oil are coming from the engine compartment by way of some kind of hole in the body of the car. It could be a loose heater or air conditioning duct at the firewall. It could be an opening in the firewall at a wire pass through or missing rubber bung as alluded to by an earlier post regarding the trunk. Engine leaks are not exactly uncommon in cars and Shadows are no exception. Check the carburetors for leaky float bowls if the fuel smells raw. Shadows dump overflow through a tube on to the ground. SU carbs often need replacement floats in cars this age. They are readily available through suppliers. The musty smell can be cleaned out with a very light bleach and water combination wiped on and followed with fresh water rinse. Don't spray and leave on. Wipe it on and off. Listerine, yes I said Listerine will also help remove the mold causing the musty smell. Again wipe it on and off. You have two different issues. One is oil, gas and exhaust. The other is old leather, wood and mold. If you clean the mold the antique leather and wood smell will return in time. Yours in service from rollsroycerestore.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sounds like there might be more than one cause. The black sooty tailpipe is certainly indicative of the engine running too rich. Both petrol/gas and exhaust fumes can give a headache. To check the exhaust for leaks screw up a bunch of rag and hold it tight over the tailpipe whilst the car is idling. If the pressure is so great that you can't really hold it on there's unlikely to be a leak, if, on the other hand, there is a leak you will force more exhaust out of the leak and will be able to hear it. Also suggest checking all fuel tank connections, breathers, etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 1970 Silver Shadow MPW coupe has a terrible, strong smell inside consisting of a combination of exhaust fumes, old leather, wood, oil and gas! It is so bad that
the smell remains on my clothes, or any other items I have in the car. The smell is even stronger in the trunk of the car. I have to leave the garage door open for a few minutes to clear out the fumes when I arrive home. It was subtle at first but seems to have gotten stronger since I have been driving it a lot. It runs very well and flies on the freeway. It starts and idles nicely but there is a black, sooty looking residue on the ground from the exhaust pipe. Over the last two days, I had a short lasting but significant headache after a 30 minute drive it to work. I drove my other car today and no headache. I know there wasn't much emissions stuff in 1970 but I can't imagine this car smelled like this when it was new. My GF calls it the "smelly little car " and refuses to ride in it! Could it be running too rich or have an exhaust/gas tank leak? Could I have been inhaling carbon monoxide fumes? I would appreciate the advice.
I use an Ozone machine inside my vehicles to rid the smells. Eliminates most odors like cigarette smoke, dead mice etc. Give it a try, what do you have to lose? perhaps the headaches...

21 - 28 of 28 Posts