Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knows of a suitable substitute wiper motor for my 1986 RR Silver Spur I just picked up.

It is missing the wiper motor.

I have read they are BOSCH brand and I am just trying to have working wipers.

Thanks!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've had some problems with mine, due to poor contacts in the three relays that operate the motor. I fixed that by removing the relay case covers and cleaning the contacts with some fine grade paper.

That's not your problem, but I took a good look at my wiper system trying to figure out why it wouldn't work.

Firstly, I hope you have all the linkages and bell crank piece for the motor, you just don't have the motor?

Flying Spares in the UK (www.flyingspares.com) will have a good 2nd hand or refurbished unit for £185.

Ebay could supply for less maybe.

However, if you are a bit handy, you could modify a BOSCH motor from a Mk4 Golf (or new beetle). You would need to cut the ground link on the park switch on the outside of the motor (see photo). That is the easy part as I have done that in order to use the motor on another car.

Now for the bit I haven't needed to do, but certainly will if I have a problem with mymotor as I think £35 fof a new (aftermarket not genuine VW) Golf motor from Ebay is more like what I would want to pay.

You would then need to pull off the tape around the motor body that covers up the brushes.

You need to disconnect the grounded brush from the motor body ground and connect a wire to it and bring that up and out through the cable gland at the top where the red and blue wires come from the other two brushes. In the worst case you would need to undo the two screws holding the motor cover/motor permanent magnets in place for better access to the brushes. You could then undo one of the gearbox screws around the top and put a ring connector on that to provide a good case ground lead.
You would then have all the cables/connections (7) necessary to connect into the RR loom, by following the RR wiring diagram, though you would need to wire up the connections individually as you would not have the original motors multi-plug (not having the motor of course). The small connections allready fitted into the Golf motor's multi-plug connection you can see in the photo are easily connected to by small blade (spade) connectors that can usually be found for car audio speakers and can be readily purchased from car audio/motor accessory suppliers.

Below is my finished motor (for another application remember!), but you can see how neatly it can be modified to fit a different application.

Note I did have another Golf motor (2nd hand) that was faulty. I'll see if I can find it and see how easy/if its possible to modify the third brush connection to pull the ground out for external connection.

Cheers... Rob.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bought a VW wipermotor a few weeks ago to replace the existing one! Doing like ro80rob wrote I´ve now got a new fresh motor for less then 1/10 of the price compared to a new one!

It took me just an hour from the start to have it replaced!!! Very pleaseed!!
:D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Only problem with fitting Maestro/Montego/Metro motors is that they are all now obsolete and you are typically buying 2nd hand motors.

You can get brand new ones for VW vehicles for not much more and the modification to fit it is not difficult.

Its so nice to fit new parts where you can, especially if you can do it for a bargain price, so well done sgtmj for guinnea pigging this one.

Don't suppose you took some photos to show how it is done/looks on your installation. As I said, mine was for another car. I only realised it could be used on my Bentley if necessary, and its not rocket science.

Cheers... Rob.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry Rob, I didn´t take any photos! I followed "the instructions"; buying a used Vw motor, a motor with the metallic cover on (and not the one with plastic cover! I was unsure if that one was as easy to use!) I cut the ground link on the park switch on the outside of the motor! I then opened the motor and followed the instructions with the third brush! Small blade connectors was used to the cables! We tested every cable so it would fit the correct cable on the car!
The whole work took just a few minutes with a superb result!!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Hi and sorry for not replying earlier
But been working
Sorry disagree new metro motors are available and are a direct replacement other than the plug
I am not a fudydudy about using the correct part but while parts are still available isn’t it best to use them as long as the price is right
Any body got the part No for rear brake pads for a 1997 turbo ?

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
There are three different part numbers for rear brake pad kits:

CD6396 (which is probably current)

UR73209 (which is probably obsolete)

CD6959 (Alcon Brakes)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Silver Spur wiper motor

I noticed the recommendation for using a LandRover wiper motor as direct replacement for my 1986 Silver Spur. What year and model is this exact match? Or, what year VW MK4 or Beetle wiper motor can be modified?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Hi dont know about land rover
but my 1987 Turbo R had a Austin Maestro Motor
but i am shore it also came off something else
the one i am on about in this thread is for the later car
as there diffident
Michael

·
Registered
54 Posts
Love the idea of purchasing a (VW) wiper motor at 10% of RR cost. What year of MK4 Golf? Next question is how do you know which of the wires from the motor go to each connection on the car's plug? I get using the wiring diagram for the car, but I'm wondering about choosing the correct wire from the motor.

Duane
86 Silver Spur

·
Registered
54 Posts
Found a Cardone 85-1835 wiper motor for a 2010 VW Beetle, any thoughts on if this one would work? Refurbished at USD84.00, new is not available.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Replacement/alternative/cheap Wiper Motor

OK

I've been helping out a forum member in using a cheaply sourced wiper motor (from our favourite online auction site) in place of his failed original (probably Lucas) part.

I realise (if you have read this far down) that somebody has already done the job and it works.

It requires a bit of DIY and simple ingenuity on your part to do, but Its pretty straight forward.

I've done the job to a motor I have, and will compile it all with pictures I have taken.

Just for completeness, I will write it up in the near future under a new thread so its easier for members to find.

Cheers... Rob.

·
Registered
31 Posts
As far as earlier comments about a later Austin Maestro wiper motor working, here are two photos. It would actually be finally fully helpful - instead of mysterious and almost helpful - to know if this is the right Maestro motor, and what the exact year of Austin Maestro it fits (even better, the part number or any numbers written on it).

Also, any already known information on which color Rolls wires match which color Austin wires?

Austin Maestro wiper motor:

Rolls 1989, etc. wiper motor:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hello

It would be helpful to know what are the wire colours on the motor you show in the pictures. As usual, motor manufacturers love to change wiring colours and so if we know yours, it may help in making a correct recommendation.

You don't quite show the shot of the wires where they exit the motor body and come off the parking switch.

Can you take another photo showing the wires as clearly as you can and also it would be useful for you to list the wire colours in two groups.

Wires coming out of the motor body

Wires coming off the back of the gearbox (i.e. the internal parking switch wires).

We may then be able to match up the wires to the RR fitment.

Cheers... Rob.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Those are not my pictures, hence my questions. Others have posted that they have already used an Austin Maestro motor without any modifications "except the plug".

They could simply look at their car, and post the wire colors, and how they match to Rolls wire colors, part numbers written on the motor, and whether it is the same as the one in the photo I found on the web.

Rather than just saying "I used a Maestro motor".

- Larry

1 - 20 of 20 Posts